Destiny 2 is being renamed & going free-to-play, eliminating PS4 exclusive content, getting cross-save, moving from Battle.net to Steam

Started by Legend, Jun 06, 2019, 01:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Destiny 2 is being renamed & going free-to-play, eliminating PS4 exclusive content, getting cross-save, moving from Battle.net to Steam | ResetEra

Bungie is hosting a Destiny 2 stream today at 10AM Pacific / 1PM Eastern to reveal the next expansion and their plans for the game going forward, but Engadget accidentally put their news article up early. I don't want to just copy and paste the whole article, so here's a summary:

• The core game will be renamed to Destiny 2: New Light
  • Once Shadowkeep launches on September 17th, the base game will go free-to-play and include "all year one content, including "foundational modes, activities and rewards."" So you'll be able to play the base game, as well as the content added as part of the Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansions, for free
  • "This represents a change for the Destiny franchise as it seeks to lure gamers away from popular free titles like Fortnite. Previously, players paid upfront for the game and bought big expansions to gain access to new raids, missions and in-game items, either separately or as an annual pass subscription. Now, the core game will stay free, while additional content will be made available in the form of paid "à la carte" offerings like Shadowkeep."
  • Going forward, no more content will be made exclusive to one platform over others. All platforms will have the same access to all new content at the same time
  • Cross-save will be added for Xbox One, PC, and Google Stadia. No PS4 support for now
  • Soon, the game will move from Battle.net to Steam on PC. Existing Battle.net players will be able to migrate all characters and purchases over to the Steam version once this happens
This should all be officially announced in a few hours.  

kitler53

Destiny 2 is being renamed & going free-to-play, eliminating PS4 exclusive content, getting cross-save, moving from Battle.net to Steam | ResetEra

meh.

i got the base game for free via ps+.  i believe it was free on pc for a while too.  i don't think this  will move the needle much for destiny.  if they want better player engagement they need to fix the core gameplay issues:  
1. a loot game where loot is completely random is difficult to stay engaged in.
2. the enhancement cores are stupid.  there is no greater buzz kill then finally getting a good drop and not being able to equip it because i lack the enhancement cores or a piece of "powerful" trash to bring it up to my power level
3. generally speaking getting a new epic piece isn't satisfying because i have to un-equip something to use it anyways.  i have like 50 epics but i can only use 2 so about 40 of them are just sitting in my bank doing nothing.
4. the quest log and consumables system has gotten really broken after since each dlc add more whatevers to collect and we are capped at 50 slots.  my mailbox is constantly full with shame i'm not allowed to carry.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens