How's School?

Started by Legend, Aug 26, 2014, 12:55 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

To be young again.  

And also a robot.  

I really need to study up on my physics classes.  
Math is going pretty good.  
Computer Science is going really good.
Philosophy is garbage.  Which is awesome.

I've just kind of been ignoring my physics classes lately.  So I need to catch up a bit.  The thing that's kind of bothersome, these classes just feel like the teachers are just picking random things to talk about.  Which is sometimes awesome when there's interesting stuff.  But usually it's not all that fun.  

My other classes are really awesome.  I feel like the class is designed to be about making progress towards something.  
Compilers is obviously about building a compiler.  And it's cool, we get to build each step, and we knew day 1 what we'd be doing the whole semester.  
Computer Networks is cool, we learn how networks work.  And we do it from the top down.  Which is cool.  You learn some practical stuff, then you learn how each layer works with it.  
Philosophy is literally just taking chapters out of a textbook, so it's pretty standard.
And my math class doesn't have a textbook, but it's still just amazingly set up.   It feels like we are building up to something, even though there isn't a textbook to show us where we are going.  Almost everything we do in that class depends on stuff we did earlier.  So like everyday is like "we showed that this is true yesterday, and we're building on this result in this way."  

So I've been talking to the math teacher about doing a study.  
Physics has always felt like that for me. Only some of it is interesting, but I didn't get to choose any of the modules I've done this year.

Can't wait for next year, finally get to do some astro stuff! Advanced Classical Physics and Plasma physics sound dope too.

the-pi-guy

Physics has always felt like that for me. Only some of it is interesting, but I didn't get to choose any of the modules I've done this year.

Can't wait for next year, finally get to do some astro stuff! Advanced Classical Physics and Plasma physics sound dope too.
The first 4 classes I had didn't feel like that.  
Yeah, I'm jelly.

Xevross

May 08, 2019, 09:28 PM Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:34 PM by Xevross
Wow this thread has been dead for a long time! I'm in the middle of another horrible exam season and its gonna feel so good when its finally done. Been doing loads of exams every year in may-june for as long as I can remember it feels like, started in 2013 with my GCSEs. If my memory serves me right I had 3 exams in 2013, 23 exams in 2014, 13 in 2015, 12 in 2016, 6 in 2017, 7 in 2018 and now 8 in 2019. All in May/June.

2014 looks the hardest but they were all GCSE exams which were fairly easy, it has pretty much gotten harder every year despite the number.

The schedule for this year is pretty tough, my exams are May 2nd, 9th, 13th, 20th, 22nd, 24th, 28th and June 3rd. First exam last week went fairly well, hoping the one tomorrow goes good too.

Completing 40% of my year or about 12% of my degree within the space of 8 days is brutal though, I really hate how my Uni does everything in the final term instead of exams at the end of modules or in January.

the-pi-guy

Wow this thread has been dead for a long time! I'm in the middle of another horrible exam season and its gonna feel so good when its finally done. Been doing loads of exams every year in may-june for as long as I can remember it feels like, started in 2013 with my GCSEs. If my memory serves me right I had 3 exams in 2013, 23 exams in 2014, 13 in 2015, 12 in 2016, 6 in 2017, 7 in 2018 and now 8 in 2019. All in May/June.

2014 looks the hardest but they were all GCSE exams which were fairly easy, it has pretty much gotten harder every year despite the number.

The schedule for this year is pretty tough, my exams are May 2nd, 9th, 13th, 20th, 22nd, 24th, 28th and June 3rd. First exam last week went fairly well, hoping the one tomorrow goes good too.

Completing 40% of my year or about 12% of my degree within the space of 8 days is brutal though, I really hate how my Uni does everything in the final term instead of exams at the end of modules or in January.
Proud of ya.  

Xevross

Proud of ya.  
Thanks! Although I probably should have done more work throughout the year to prepare :P

Well whatever, as long as I come out with a 2:1 degree (60%+) all doors remain open to me!

the-pi-guy

So school is really rough.  The biggest thing is I'm starting to not care.  So even when I have a good amount of time to work on anything, I don't feel like I want to.  

Have some final projects that i have to finish.  

Electricity & Magnetism:
I am interested in this subject, but I'm not doing very well.  It doesn't help that the professor isn't posting what we are doing in class.
If I was able to care more and wasn't so busy, I could learn more out of the book.  

Physics Lab:
I hate lab.  And my wife and I spent like 6 hours together working on trying to put the data together.  I noticed that some of the data was missed, and my lab partner and I didn't do a couple of runs.  

Programming Languages:
I'm doing well.  It's a class I've been skipping because I need time to work on other things.  Really interesting stuff.

Graphics:
It's an alright class.  I'm not a fan of the professor's teaching style, but I'm looking forward to getting more in depth with it in the future.  

Computing Ethics:
This class is interesting, pretty easy.  Not really liking the teacher though.  

Senior Physics Project:
Finally figuring this out.  So that's a plus.  
Was a pain though.

Xevross

So school is really rough.  The biggest thing is I'm starting to not care.  So even when I have a good amount of time to work on anything, I don't feel like I want to.  

Have some final projects that i have to finish.  

Electricity & Magnetism:
I am interested in this subject, but I'm not doing very well.  It doesn't help that the professor isn't posting what we are doing in class.
If I was able to care more and wasn't so busy, I could learn more out of the book.  

Physics Lab:
I hate lab.  And my wife and I spent like 6 hours together working on trying to put the data together.  I noticed that some of the data was missed, and my lab partner and I didn't do a couple of runs.  

Programming Languages:
I'm doing well.  It's a class I've been skipping because I need time to work on other things.  Really interesting stuff.

Graphics:
It's an alright class.  I'm not a fan of the professor's teaching style, but I'm looking forward to getting more in depth with it in the future.  

Computing Ethics:
This class is interesting, pretty easy.  Not really liking the teacher though.  

Senior Physics Project:
Finally figuring this out.  So that's a plus.  
Was a pain though.
Yay for not caring!

So two more exams down, got iced by my Uni as both were a lot harder than the past papers but I think I still did okay.

So my master's project for next year has been confirmed! I'm going to be studying the effect of the changing global climate on wildfires and the feedback loop of wildfires in turn affecting the climate which then effects wildfires more etc. so that's cool!

Also decided I'm studying Unification, Quantum Theory of Matter, Quantum Field Theory, Atmospheric Physics and Nanotechnology next year.

Still got my exams on light and matter, statistical mechanics, physics of the universe and fluid dynamics, group theory and suns stars and planets to go this year.

the-pi-guy

So my master's project for next year has been confirmed! I'm going to be studying the effect of the changing global climate on wildfires and the feedback loop of wildfires in turn affecting the climate which then effects wildfires more etc. so that's cool!
"But climate change isn't real so this is moot anyway"

/S

Congrats!  

the-pi-guy

I feel exhausted.  

Still have a test on Monday and a presentation.  But I'm pretty close to being done.  

Wasn't able to set up my practicum though.

Also decided I'm studying Unification, Quantum Theory of Matter, Quantum Field Theory, Atmospheric Physics and Nanotechnology next year.
Do you like all these things?  

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Imperial College London is a fudgy piece of shame organisation. That is all.

the-pi-guy

Imperial College London is a fudgy piece of shame organisation. That is all.
What happened?

Xevross

What happened?
Basically completely ignored students and went with the worst possible solution to summer exams because its best for them. Students are having panic attacks and they don't get shame. There's going to be some people who have a massive advantage over others in the remote exams they've planned. Its just all horseshit.

Students are trying to mobilise action against the college, whistle-blowing and leaking emails to the press which show massive incompetence and negligence. We're hoping it goes somewhere but it probably won't.

Go Up