MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Sep 24, 2020, 03:33 PM Last Edit: Sep 24, 2020, 03:34 PM by kitler53
It's a give a mouse a cookie situation.

Without bc, all the crossbuy games on ps4 were nice and other ports were just regular ports.

With bc and ps4 pro though, players expect games to run on newer hardware and look better for free. No one paid for ps4 pro patches, so why would they pay for ps5 patches?

I think the big problem is just that next gen games look a lot like current gen games atm. PS5 feels like a ps4 pro pro at this point because so little of next gen has been shown. Come nov with head to head face offs, that could change.
when the "patch" is just higher render resolutions and framerates i think free is a fair expectation. 

unless i'm mistaken spiderman remastered isn't that.   it's the original spiderman game in the entirely reworked city they made for spiderman Miles Morales with higher detailed assets, improved lighting including ray tracing, increased city density, 3D audio, haptic feedback, and of course higher render resolutions and framerates.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-spider-man-remastered-is-improved-on-ps5/1100-6482503/

the original spider man will run on ps5 via BC and while sony has been less clear on what "boost mode" means here i think it basically means higher render resolutions and frame rates.   that's a free "upgrade" there.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

when the "patch" is just higher render resolutions and framerates i think free is a fair expectation.  

unless i'm mistaken spiderman remastered isn't that.   it's the original spiderman game in the entirely reworked city they made for spiderman Miles Morales with higher detailed assets, improved lighting including ray tracing, increased city density, 3D audio, haptic feedback, and of course higher render resolutions and framerates.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-spider-man-remastered-is-improved-on-ps5/1100-6482503/

the original spider man will run on ps5 via BC and while sony has been less clear on what "boost mode" means here i think it basically means higher render resolutions and frame rates.   that's a free "upgrade" there.
That's just marketing talk until people can see it for themselves.

darkknightkryta

18 free ps4 games adds no good will at all?   99% BC with ps4 adds no good will at all?

boy how fast have expectations changed from last gen. previously no games moved forward from gen to gen and suddenly it's not even good enough to have full BC with your last gen games library,.. you're games library needs to be actively updated every gen to leverage the new hardware for free.

i'm getting really worried about ps5 at this point.  seems as if anything less than free ps studio games for life and sony is a bad guy.  MS is clearly going to monopolize the entire video game industry by the time next gen starts between acquisitions and kamikaze policies.  let's see how much a pro-consumer nice guy MS will be once they eliminate the competition..
PS4 backwards compatibility was going to happen because Jim Ryan wants people to switch to the PS5 as fast as possible and it would have happened whether they down-clocked the PS5 to be a PS4 or not.  Where's the rest?   "Previously no games moved forward", oh yes they did.  PS2 played nearly every PSX game.  PS3 played nearly every PS2 and PSX games.  PS Vita played quite a bit of PSP games (Digital Licensing screwing things up).  Now that the PS5 is powerful enough to emulate all the previous systems, are there any plans?  Nope.  Hell Sony didn't even let me bring my PS2 purchases from PS3 to PS4, despite them doing that for the PSP, PSVita and PS3.  And  other than writing an emulator for previous gens (Which isn't as time consuming as you think), the game's don't need to be updated. We'd actually have a lot more PS2 games on PS4 if Sony didn't force the trophies (The high resolution is a byproduct of using a hardware oriented emulator).

Though with that all said; if they're touching Spider-man's assets and adding in HDR, then yes, go ahead and charge, that's fair.  If they're just switching the resolution and making some minor changes to adjust for the SSD, screw em.  But at the same time Microsoft is adding HDR to all their previous gens game automagically.  Sony is charging you for what Microsoft is doing for free for all their last gen games (Not to mention their superior BC program).

Xevross

Sep 25, 2020, 03:39 PM Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 03:43 PM by Xevross
PS4 backwards compatibility was going to happen because Jim Ryan wants people to switch to the PS5 as fast as possible and it would have happened whether they down-clocked the PS5 to be a PS4 or not.  Where's the rest?  "Previously no games moved forward", oh yes they did.  PS2 played nearly every PSX game.  PS3 played nearly every PS2 and PSX games.  PS Vita played quite a bit of PSP games (Digital Licensing screwing things up).  Now that the PS5 is powerful enough to emulate all the previous systems, are there any plans?  Nope.  Hell Sony didn't even let me bring my PS2 purchases from PS3 to PS4, despite them doing that for the PSP, PSVita and PS3.  And  other than writing an emulator for previous gens (Which isn't as time consuming as you think), the game's don't need to be updated. We'd actually have a lot more PS2 games on PS4 if Sony didn't force the trophies (The high resolution is a byproduct of using a hardware oriented emulator).

Though with that all said; if they're touching Spider-man's assets and adding in HDR, then yes, go ahead and charge, that's fair.  If they're just switching the resolution and making some minor changes to adjust for the SSD, screw em.  But at the same time Microsoft is adding HDR to all their previous gens game automagically.  Sony is charging you for what Microsoft is doing for free for all their last gen games (Not to mention their superior BC program).
The BC thing is good but its nothing special really. PS5 boost mode is great though depending on how it works. That's beyond the expected. The PS+ collection is a nice bonus too.

The last paragraph is wrong though. MS are applying next gen patches because the games are in game pass. They're making them run at 4k60/120 (they already all had HDR pretty much) some of them are running ray tracing because its hardware based so easy to add. Playstation are doing free upgrades for the 3 cross gen games and we don't know about any others, of course all PS4 games will work in BC and most will support boost mode for a free upgrade of sorts. Spidey remastered is way beyond the usual next gen patch that is being given for free:

The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game's art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console's horsepower. You'll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You'll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We'll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller's haptic feedback. Lastly we're adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.
from the PS blog (https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/see-the-marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-new-gameplay-demo/)

kitler53

I wouldn't go so far as to say sony are ahead again after the bethesda aquisition but sony hasn't been so stingy withe the info lately:
spiderman remastered details
sackboy trailer
demon souls trailer
the Japanese youtubers footage
the hardware teardown. 
trophies update

its making sony feel relevant again. I actually feel optimistic we"ll get details on the OS soon via ps blog,.. probably over 3-4 posts detailing different aspects 

the-pi-guy

I wouldn't go so far as to say sony are ahead again after the bethesda aquisition but sony hasn't been so stingy withe the info lately:
sackboy trailer
demon souls trailer
the hardware teardown.
trophies update

its making sony feel relevant again. I actually feel optimistic we"ll get details on the OS soon via ps blog,.. probably over 3-4 posts detailing different aspects

For sure.

Think we will see UI in the next 2 weeks.

kitler53

For sure.

Think we will see UI in the next 2 weeks.
I'm thinking next week. 

Dr. Pezus

sackboy trailer
demon souls trailer
the hardware teardown.
trophies update

Did I miss the DS trailer?

Xevross

No, there wasn't one. There was some destruction allstars info though.

kitler53

Oct 08, 2020, 12:45 PM Last Edit: Oct 08, 2020, 12:52 PM by kitler53
it was in Sony's second showcase with a follow up blog post containing more details.  it was a gameplay trailer so I'm counting it.

Xevross

it was in Sony's second showcase with a follow up blog post containing more details.  it was a gameplay trailer so I'm counting it.
Why did you include that from the showcase and nothing else? Kinda weird!

the-pi-guy

kitler53

Why did you include that from the showcase and nothing else? Kinda weird!
this isn't really the point. the point is it no longer feels as if sony is stingy about next gen details.  my intent was not to get into a list war,.. just name some of the reasons it feels different. 

Xevross

this isn't really the point. the point is it no longer feels as if sony is stingy about next gen details.  my intent was not to get into a list war,.. just name some of the reasons it feels different.
Sure but you said since the bethesda thing and then made a list of stuff in the last week then randomly threw in one thing from the few weeks old showcase, it confused a couple of us.

kitler53

Go Up