Own a VR Headset. Who want's to touch me?

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Dec 16, 2015, 03:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

So I got my Gear Vr into day. Over all I'm impressed and can't wait for the real Vr headsets to land next year.

I downloaded two games based on gaf impressions and sadly I really didn't enjoy either one of them.

Gunjack and Lands End.

GunJack has you seated in a ship's gunner seat. It's an arcade shooter where you blast other ships out of the sky for points.  It had power ups and other stuff that you would normally find in these types of games.  It was a cool experience but using the touch pad on the side of the Gear Vr really bought the experience down. Shooting is done by touching the touch pad and reloading is swiping back on the same pad. Which only lead the frustration as it rarely worked like it should have. Maybe i'll give this a go if I can manage to connect one of my current controllers to the head set. I'm hoping for stick movement because moving your head around to do everything only grantees short play sessions.  

Lands End is a puzzle game where you use look to move objects to connect dots which solves the puzzle and allows you to move on. Movement is automatic and you're just along for the ride till you next puzzle point. It's a decent game with simple visuals. It seems short. I've got to chapter 3 in about 15 minutes and there's only 5 chapters. It was interesting, but not something I would call fun. The puzzles aren't even slightly hard.

I've tried other things like 360 videos and the virtual cinema app, which I actually found to be the most impressive. Although I'm having a hard time finding anything good to watch.

I still have a lot to check out. I'll post more impressions as I try more things.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Okay, So titans of space. Holly shame. I feel like that was my first true vr experience. Where I felt like I was actually there. As I was flying around space I felt I was actually moving and keep reaching out for something in the real word to keep me grounded.  fudgy amazing.

@Legend Elite Dangerous VR, We are not ready.  ;D

Legend

Okay, So titans of space. Holly shame. I feel like that was my first true vr experience. Where I felt like I was actually there. As I was flying around space I felt I was actually moving and keep reaching out for something in the real word to keep me grounded.  fudgy amazing.

@Legend Elite Dangerous VR, We are not ready.  ;D
Nice! Just watched a video of titans of space on youtube.

That game's use of model size is the one thing that worries me for Elite VR. Real space is far too huge for stereoscopic 3D to apply, so will it really be that great of an experience? Still super looking forward to it though!

Mmm_fish_tacos

Nice! Just watched a video of titans of space on youtube.

That game's use of model size is the one thing that worries me for Elite VR. Real space is far too huge for stereoscopic 3D to apply, so will it really be that great of an experience? Still super looking forward to it though!

Yeah, I think it will. The only thing that really looked 3d was the cockpit, planet rings and a random space rock which I'm still not sure why it was there. But it was the scale that really impressed. I mean I could tell the planets were 3d but they are just showing you a spear after all.  It's going to be the little things that sell elite. The detailed cockpit random space debris/rock and asteroids, passing or fighting other ships. And of course coming out of warp drive face first into a star is sure to make you shame your pants every time.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Tried the Jurassic Park demo last night. And it was pretty cool. The scale felt right which is important in VR. And the graphics were pretty good considering it was running on a phone.

Back to the scale in Vr issue. I tried an experience that let you sit inside of some high end cars. But the scall was so bad. I felt like a little person sitting inside of a California that was made for a giant.

Legend

Tried the Jurassic Park demo last night. And it was pretty cool. The scale felt right which is important in VR. And the graphics were pretty good considering it was running on a phone.

Back to the scale in Vr issue. I tried an experience that let you sit inside of some high end cars. But the scall was so bad. I felt like a little person sitting inside of a California that was made for a giant.
VR will be great for bug/giant games!

Mmm_fish_tacos

Dec 31, 2015, 06:11 PM Last Edit: Dec 31, 2015, 06:13 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
VR will be great for bug/giant games!
Yes, that will be cool for game that try to do that. lol.

I also tried the arcade beta. Which was nice, But i didn't have a controller that works with the phone. So i couldn't play any of the games. But again they got the scale right. I'm excited for applications like this that let you and your friends hang out in a virtual arcade playing games together.

Mmm_fish_tacos

What's really driving me crazy about the current offerings on the store is the lack of any car/flight games. The two things I'm most excited about and they are missing. Even if it was an on rails experience. I need to try them!

Go Up