First year:

Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac)
Gran Turismo 7
London smaller game
MLB The Show 21 (obviously)
Which is also going to Xbox.  

Xevross

Which is also going to Xbox.  
Oh I must have missed that. Well not like I pay any attention to those games anyway.

the-pi-guy

Oh I must have missed that. Well not like I pay any attention to those games anyway.
There was a press release about moving to platforms beyond PlayStation.  Nintendo responded to it, even.  

Doesn't matter to me. I dislike sports games.  

Horizon

If we're narrowing down actual titles I expect Insomniacs game to be Ratchet and Clank. It would have been over 5 years which would give them plenty of time; they're also extremely efficient they made the remake in like 10 months iirc. Guerrilla also very efficient and the decima seems to very intuitive and advanced in terms of asset creation. (check the GDC procedural video). The only thing that will delay them is the scope of the sequel. If they want to take it the next level including improved weapon combat with like swords and flying robos would require more time than if they played it safe. Japan studio are very interesting as it seems Toyama is working on Silent Hills. The Knack team might work on a new I.P but I pray it appeals to a large audience base. The interesting one is Kuono who was going to show something in 2018 but since then has gone completely silent. I think we all hope Japan Studio finally works on a larger scale but we'll have to wait. I doubt London Studio will do a non-VR game as they're not that big.

Xevross

Apr 15, 2020, 10:42 PM Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020, 12:42 AM by Xevross
I feel really bad for Media Molecule, 2 months after launch and Dreams has been played by about 460k people, its doing awfully. I pretty much stopped playing it completely, its basically just a clusterfuck of early access games of varying quality (with the best being still nowhere near the quality of most real games).

More and more I feel like Dreams was a terrible idea and Sony were dumb to greenlight it. That being said, if MM had put it out in a couple of years with better quality it might have still made good money. I'm absolutely baffled as to how this took 6 years and why MM's "story mode" is only a low quality 3 hour mini story.

Legend

I feel really bad for Media Molecule, 2 months after launch and Dreams has been played by a maximum 450k people, its doing awfully. I pretty much stopped playing it completely, its basically just a clusterfuck of early access games of varying quality (with the best being still nowhere near the quality of most real games).

More and more I feel like Dreams was a terrible idea and Sony were dumb to greenlight it. That being said, if MM had put it out in a couple of years with better quality it might have still made good money. I'm absolutely baffled as to how this took 6 years and why MM's "story mode" is only a low quality 3 hour mini story.
It's a great game engine. It could end up making billions.

As a game though, it's Frankenstein's monster. What even is this thing? Why should people buy it?

LittleBigPlanet worked so well because it was a great game without ugc and the ugc felt like free DLC. Some user made stuff was crazy "total conversion" stuff but it mostly fit together.

Dreams however is a service. Very few people will buy it for the story. Instead it's a $40 gamepass for an indie scene. If the games are great it's great but if the games are bad it's bad.

Imo they need to focus on improving the games. Make it so registered PlayStation devs can easily export their games into native PS5 games. Sell them in the store like regular games. Take a cut of the profit or let the game assets be free inside Dreams for remixing. Or something else.

Devs just need a reason to put thousands of hours into Dreams professionally.

At the very least they could let devs shill their patreon.

the-pi-guy

The fact that they didn't have a huge story mode is the biggest hit. A game like that just can't exist without user content and theres no guarantee for user content.

Xevross

Apr 16, 2020, 12:30 AM Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020, 12:32 AM by Xevross
It's a great game engine. It could end up making billions.

As a game though, it's Frankenstein's monster. What even is this thing? Why should people buy it?

LittleBigPlanet worked so well because it was a great game without ugc and the ugc felt like free DLC. Some user made stuff was crazy "total conversion" stuff but it mostly fit together.

Dreams however is a service. Very few people will buy it for the story. Instead it's a $40 gamepass for an indie scene. If the games are great it's great but if the games are bad it's bad.

Imo they need to focus on improving the games. Make it so registered PlayStation devs can easily export their games into native PS5 games. Sell them in the store like regular games. Take a cut of the profit or let the game assets be free inside Dreams for remixing. Or something else.

Devs just need a reason to put thousands of hours into Dreams professionally.

At the very least they could let devs shill their patreon.
Yeah its a super hard one to market and sell. What really would have helped is a high quality campaign, LBP style, but Art's Dream is just not good for that at all. It looks super creepy and is more likely to turn people off, plus its short and low quality. If you paid like $30 for Art's Dream as a standalone game thinking it might be a neat little indie game I think you'd want a refund, its just really janky and not really up to standard at all. Animations are the killer, they are so so bad.

Thinking of Art's Dream in a "oh cool this game was made in this game" kind of way it seems impressive but if you try to critique it as an actual video game its just straight up bad. And the same thing goes for 99.9% of Dreams right now.

I think selling of select dreams as games is the only way to make good money off this but that would come with many big problems as well, and barely any will make the cut of quality. That's why I'm just baffled by it. Not only is it super weird and not appealing to most people, Sony have barely even tried, I haven't seen ads anywhere. I wonder where on earth MM go from here.

kitler53

LittleBigPlanet worked so well because it was a great game without ugc and the ugc felt like free DLC.
yeah, i loved LBP for that reason.  the campaign was awesome.    LBP2 was less awesome because too many of the levels felt like they did it just to show off that they added a feature to the tools.   LBP3 was terrible but that wasn't MM...

Tearaway was amazing.  Teraway unfolded was even better.

..and then dreams.  i didn't buy it but i didn't buy it for all the reasons you guys mention above.  i don't want to make games i want to play games.  UGC is generally bad and I don't want to buy the game for what has been universally billed as a terrible campaign.

go back to making games MM.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

So if I read this right, the last time Sony announced a game was October 2017.  

Legend

They also only have 2 announced games in development.

Whenever they decide to show stuff, it could be a blowout.

Xevross

Yeah its kinda crazy. They had so many announcements 2015-2017, completely blew their load. Now we haven't had an exciting Sony announcement in so looooong.

Legend

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Sony hasn't announced a major game since 2017 | ResetEra

I feel like almost every Sony studio that had a big release mid gen onwards are being told Hey these are your target specs, go ham, to ensure they get the same consistency going into a new generation.

I think there will be a lot of big games coming from Sony at a very early rate in comparison to previous generations, even though their message so far has been to the hardcore. But that's also exactly who they said they were targeting for this coming gen.  
[/size]

Go Up