Has anyone else joined the most recent chess boom?

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 02, 2023, 07:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Chess right now is more popular than it has been in years

- The Queen's Gambit on Netflix had led a lot of people to trying out Chess.

A chess cheating scandal amongst the world champions. 

A lot of people are watching chess champions on streaming/Youtube

BananaKing

Actually I have a bit. I recently visited my friend in finland, and we he loves chess, he always wanted to play it back in the day. So when I visited he convinced me to play. 

Now that I came back I wanna play but can't find someone to play with me

kitler53

I watched the queen's gambit,.. but otherwise no.  I know how to played and played a fair bit as a kid.  not my favorite game but I expect I'll at least teach my kids soon.  they need to get a bit bigger first.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

I watched the queen's gambit,.. but otherwise no.  I know how to played and played a fair bit as a kid.  not my favorite game but I expect I'll at least teach my kids soon.  they need to get a bit bigger first.
Its a good game to teach and play. Its helps with thinking outside the box and could be an exercise for critical thinking.

I stopped playing though because it really hurts my ego when I lose. Its not like other games

kitler53

Its a good game to teach and play. Its helps with thinking outside the box and could be an exercise for critical thinking.

I stopped playing though because it really hurts my ego when I lose. Its not like other games
okay sure,.. but it's not like it's totally unique like that.  I could argue playing fez is even better for critical thinking. 

I basically stopped when I graduated because I mostly played during boy scout campouts. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Actually I have a bit. I recently visited my friend in finland, and we he loves chess, he always wanted to play it back in the day. So when I visited he convinced me to play.

Now that I came back I wanna play but can't find someone to play with me
I've been playing a lot more, but vs bots.  

The website I use has a large number of bots scaled to various levels.

BananaKing

okay sure,.. but it's not like it's totally unique like that.  I could argue playing fez is even better for critical thinking.

I basically stopped when I graduated because I mostly played during boy scout campouts.
Na I wouldbt think a game like fez is a better critical thinking tool than chess. Specially if played in the long term.

With different oppenents you need different strategies, and you are always looking for new possibilities with chess.
In the long term it helps with memory and strategy building.

Legend

I've been playing a lot more, but vs bots.  

The website I use has a large number of bots scaled to various levels.
What website do you use?
Na I wouldbt think a game like fez is a better critical thinking tool than chess. Specially if played in the long term.

With different oppenents you need different strategies, and you are always looking for new possibilities with chess.
In the long term it helps with memory and strategy building.
Chess is hard to beat if you're talking long term. But fez and others like it can really quickly change the way you think.

the-pi-guy

What website do you use?Chess is hard to beat if you're talking long term.
Chess.com is the most popular.

I guess Lichess.com is even better and free-er in a lot of ways.

the-pi-guy

Sorry for the silly bump here.

I play a few short games against bots every day. And it's been fun when I feel like I'm getting better at playing.

I still sometimes lose in the worst of ways.
But some of the more challenging bots I've played against, I've found that I win against them more often.  

I've gone from never beating a 1500 ELO chess.com bot, to beating them several times now.  

Legend

I tried a bot game. Ended in a draw with just our kings left.

the-pi-guy

I tried a bot game. Ended in a draw with just our kings left.
But which bot?

Legend

But which bot?
The one chess.com defaulted to, idk.

Legend

the-pi-guy

The best chess players are pretty absurd.

This is Magnus Carlsen, who is pretty safely the best chess player in the world.

He's able to recognize a position from a famous game 25 years ago without seeing the pieces in the second example, as well as was able to recall the next ~10 moves.