TV Show Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 07, 2014, 03:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

darkknightkryta

I started rewatching lost. Won't do the full series but it was really fun seeing the pilot episode again 19 years later.
I still haven't seen a show as emotionally driven as Lost.  Airbender is a close second.

kitler53

oops,... wrong thread.  moving it now to the movie thread.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

"Netflix TV series on blu-ray"

:D

"Homemade"

???

the-pi-guy

BananaKing

kitler53

oh boy, this is a thing again?

the original seasons where amazing.   i watched the first reboot and other than the late Philip J Fry i found the new episodes to be quite underwhelming.  i don't think i can muster any excitement for a second reboot.

the-pi-guy

Back on Dark.

Had a very hectic like 4 weeks or something, and wasn't able to watch.

Finally almost done with the first season. Got pretty heavy here.

Dr. Pezus

Back on Dark.

Had a very hectic like 4 weeks or something, and wasn't able to watch.

Finally almost done with the first season. Got pretty heavy here.
Keep going!

Legend

Why do so many shows have horrible writing?

Spoilers for the Garner show on Apple TV. The whole conclusion of the show was that moving states as a 16 year old sucks more than never seeing your dad again.

The feds wanted to put a family into the witness protection program, but Garner and the dad rejected that because the dad's daughter would have to change schools. This is the "happy" ending according to the show.

the-pi-guy

I can understand writing being boring.

But I don't understand the obnoxiously bad writing. There is plenty of writing I don't understand how a writer thinks it sounds reasonable, let alone gets put into productions.

Legend

I can understand writing being boring.

But I don't understand the obnoxiously bad writing. There is plenty of writing I don't understand how a writer thinks it sounds reasonable, let alone gets put into productions.

I did film school as a kid but I focused on editing and cinematography.

It's been really fun discovering this youtube channel. I had never seen a film/tv writer critique film/tv writing before and it makes bad writing even more confusing. I assume most professional writers know the same stuff as this youtuber so why are so many shows so bad?

the-pi-guy

Anime is so absurdly expensive. 

13 episodes 20-min long, came out 3 years ago starting $35. Was originally priced at $65.

The first season of House of the Dragon started at $50, and is now $25. Despite coming out 7 months ago.

There's another anime I was looking at, that is like 25 episodes and is apparently only available in a $200 collectors set.

darkknightkryta

oh boy, this is a thing again?

the original seasons where amazing.   i watched the first reboot and other than the late Philip J Fry i found the new episodes to be quite underwhelming.  i don't think i can muster any excitement for a second reboot.
I think Comedy Central had given... Season 7 (?) and 8 really low budgets.  So I think the writers split the cast up to save on costs.  Kind of what happened with Arrested Development Season 4.

I've been thinking about this after watching Picard Season 2.  Me and my dad enjoyed the second season, but in general, the dialog was poor.  I specifically watched a few minutes of Season 3 (I'll get to it once it's on bluray) and like, just listenning to the dialog, it was so cringe.  I think something happened and the succession of writing (Old guard training the new guard) broke and a lot of the new writers just don't know what they're doing.  There's no "Yeah, if you really want to get at people's emotions, write this scene like this and you'll have them eating out of the palms of your hands".  Either the new kids (Who I would imagine are younger than I am), don't want to listen, or just aren't skilled enough for it.  Like, I'm remembering conversations with a former friend, who's half a decade younger than I, and things he'd point out in stuff like comics, shows and movies, in terms of dialogue, that would hype him up, I'd be like "eh?".  So a lot of people like him are probably writing, so stuff they'd think is cool, really isn't and comes off bad on screen.  Part of why theres a lot of people complaining about current media, is because these people writing think they're doing a great job, and it comes off on screen as "eh?".

Anime is so absurdly expensive.  

13 episodes 20-min long, came out 3 years ago starting $35. Was originally priced at $65.

The first season of House of the Dragon started at $50, and is now $25. Despite coming out 7 months ago.

There's another anime I was looking at, that is like 25 episodes and is apparently only available in a $200 collectors set.
Part of the problem is that in Japan, they never re-priced things after the rental market.  Back in the day, VHS used to be really expensive.  That was because consumers weren't buying the tapes, rental companies were.  So they'd charge a lot to the rental companies, and you'd rent.  So if you wanted to buy a movie, it'd cost you north of 100 dollars (god knows what price today), since the assumption was that you'd rent it out.  Can't remember what movie started the cheap trend, but Japan never followed suit.  So their home media was and still is, in rental pricing.  So when U.S. compainies go out to license and package anime, they get charged a lot.  So it's harder for them to release at the cheap end, because there's very little wiggle room and it's getting harder to make money by volume.  I think Funimation was lucky to make money by volume, so they'd make their S.A.V.E. line.  With Funimation selling, streaming picking up, all you're really left with is Aniplex (Which is cancer to pricing), Diskotek media (Which normally focuses on old anime) and Sentai (Sentai prices at Japan pricing).  So you're stuck at expensive anime.  They've also had to slim things down, so that 200 dollar collector edition is pretty much all whoever(Sentai?) thinks they will sell.  So they'll make a collector edition for the hardcore client.  Since they don't expect new people (Children and teens) to buy.

kitler53

so excited that black mirror is back!!

the-pi-guy

I enjoy buying movies and tv shows too much.

Go Up