The Music Thread

Started by kitler53, Sep 23, 2016, 01:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

anyone out there into rap music?

this is probably going to sound racist (perhaps because it is) but as white guy that lives in a white neighborhood with pretty much all white friends and the ones that are not are typically Asian.....

...i find it hard to find good rap music.  

i get most of my music via recommendations and there isn't anyone in my life to recommend anything.   basically i just listen to eminem, kendrick lamar, and perhaps macklemore if you want to count him.   i like the sound but i find i have the same problem with rap as i do with country music,.. a lot of it is too specific to a culture i can't relate to.  i can sympathize to topics like knowing someone that has been gun down by a cop but i can't relate to it.  it's hard to resonate to topics i'm soo far removed from.  just like how i can't resonate with a country song about taking your horse to wherever...

anyone have any good recommendations for me?

nnodley

Feb 02, 2023, 06:45 PM Last Edit: Feb 02, 2023, 06:48 PM by nnodley
Rap has devolved into one of the trashiest genres ever, imo.  But dang the old days of rap in the early 90's and 2000's were so good.  Lil Wayne, early Drake, early Eminem and plenty more put out consistent bangers.  Now it's just terrible.

Early macklemore was great as well

the-pi-guy

Another Japanese song.

The first time I watched the music video in full, it crushed me.

kitler53

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/10/1162568704/vinyl-outsells-cds-first-time-since-1987-records

Vinyl albums outsold CDs last year for the first time since 1987, according to the Recording Industry Association of America's year-end report released Thursday.

It marked the 16th consecutive year of growth in vinyl, with 41 million albums sold -- compared to 33 million CDs.
just wow. 

maybe rockstar should have a special edition of the next GTA that ships in 3 DVDs...

SWORDF1SH

That's pretty crazy. Has anything happened like this before? The streaming era has halted any progression in physical media and vinyl does offer a different sound to CD/streaming but this is mad.

the-pi-guy

Does anyone listen to lofi girl?

There's like a huge community for this one youtube channel

Legend

Does anyone listen to lofi girl?

There's like a huge community for this one youtube channel
I don't listen to that channel but sometimes I put on random 10 hour lofi ish videos to help remove ghosting from my screen.

kitler53

i'm not into youtube and thus i've never heard of it.   been listening for a bit now and it's nice.  probably not nice enough to make me come back.   this seems like background music for when you don't want silence but you don't want to pay attention to it either.   i have preferred music for that,.. mostly classical stuff like mozart.   sometimes i listen to ATB which to be frank sounds a lot like this channel.

nnodley

yeah i don't listen to music on youtube really at all.  I love spotify's lofi beats and lofi cafe playlists though.

the-pi-guy

This was part of a video I saw on YouTube and I really liked some of the lines.

The lines that I liked are also part of a different longer song.

kitler53

did you watch his Netflix COVID special?   it's a true period piece. 

the-pi-guy

did you watch his Netflix COVID special?   it's a true period piece.
I have not.

kitler53

I have not.
it probably went on too long but it really brought back memories of lock down.  it was pretty funny even if it went on a bit too long.

the-pi-guy

Go Up