The Music Thread

Started by kitler53, Sep 23, 2016, 01:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

now this i'm really into.  already added this album to my library and will likely listen though a few albums before moving on.

i wouldn't say it's the same but for me this scratches the same itch as built to spill for me.   if you decided to look them up start with "keep it like a secret" or "there's nothing wrong with love".  there sound evolved after that and not necessarily for the better.
Nice.  Yeah Oliver tree is great.

I'll check them out

kitler53

Jan 26, 2023, 02:54 PM Last Edit: Jan 26, 2023, 02:57 PM by kitler53
okay, finished both oliver tree albums.   good stuff.

up next,..  kaleo's a/b.    icelandic blue rock,.. i'm excited to try this out.  i'm expecting something close to Sigur Rós.

EDIT: okay, one song down my expectations were off.  this sounds very much like american blues rock.  perhaps i put too much weight into "icelandic".  at the very least i thought it would be sung not in english.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Anyone like Nightcore edits?
Kind of like chipmunk edits.

kitler53

kitler53

added kaleo to my library.   even though i liked it i'm still kind of disappointed it wasn't more "icelandic".  ...whatever that means.  i guess i just have Sigur Rós and Björk in my head as being "icelandic" and expected some sort of regionally influenced take on blues rock.  it's still really good but it's very traditional too.

up next:  Hippo Campus's Landmark.  

pretty excited to find out these guys are from my home town!  hope they're good.

nnodley

I tried Built to Spill. I definitely see where they are similar to Oliver Tree.  But i'm into it for sure.  Keep it like a secret is good from what i've listened to. Its a very 90's style of music, but that was such a good era for music.  I miss some of that.

Hippo Campus is up there with Lord Huron for me.

kitler53

Jan 27, 2023, 05:35 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2023, 05:39 PM by kitler53
I tried Built to Spill. I definitely see where they are similar to Oliver Tree.  But i'm into it for sure.  Keep it like a secret is good from what i've listened to. Its a very 90's style of music, but that was such a good era for music.  I miss some of that.

Hippo Campus is up there with Lord Huron for me.
yeah, i think if i could express it:
1. certainly a bit of it is the sound.  both are doing that like fake falsetto thing.  both are rock bands or whatever.
2. but more of it is like,.. the sound is pretty bright and cheerful but the lyrics have a dark or self deprecating humor to them.   

i've always liked it when a band and find that delicate contrast of cheerful but sad.   for me the epitome of that is weezer's pinkerton.  dear god, that album can span all the way from party to attempted-suicide...   i don't care too much for where weezer has gone lately but dang if those first two albums are amazing.   

my other favorite is real big fish's turn the radio off.  such an amazing album.  such a shame they never really nailed that particular sound down on their follow-up albums.

and yeah, i'm an 80's and 90's child.   i'm not as bad as some about not embrassing new music but my library is very heavily skewed to that era.

nnodley

Just thought of another you might like, as i'm listening to them right now.

Low Roar.  They are featured heavily in Death Stranding.

the-pi-guy

This is one that I like.

My wife does not.

kitler53

Jan 27, 2023, 07:21 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2023, 07:41 PM by kitler53

Low Roar.  They are featured heavily in Death Stranding.

This is one that I like.

My wife does not.
just finished that youtube embedd and hell yeah i like that!!  going to check out the whole album now.

reminds me of one of my favorites: alt-j. i'm pretty sure these guys are reasonably well known but i dunno,.. maybe not.   no idea what one would consider their "hit" song,.. they are the kind of band where you really should listen to the album not the songs because the songs bleed into each other.   anyways, this is one of my favorites:

nnodley

Jan 27, 2023, 07:33 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2023, 07:40 PM by nnodley
I've heard of Alt-J but haven't really listened to much of theirs.  I'll have to check them out more.

Some artists, that i've just recently discovered, that I like but have only listened to some of their songs are Houndmouth, Manchester Orchestra, Bronze Radio Return, and Rainbow Kitten Surprise.

Also Local Natives is great as well.  They were big on the first Life is Strange.

I also like Gregory Alan Isakov, but he's very folk so you may not like him.

Legend

Low Roar.  They are featured heavily in Death Stranding.
I like the church song in death stranding too.

Dr. Pezus

I like the church song in death stranding too.
And the trailer song

kitler53

going back to my own music.

i don't expect any of ya'll to like this.  it's definitely "girl music" but love love love mirah.   

the-pi-guy

The one Chinese song I listen to.

Go Up