PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

oof.   guess between that and sony not having already acquired them the game must not be going all that great.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

They even went on stage at Summer Games Fest to announce the partnership, so that's sad in retrospect.  

Legend

They even went on stage at Summer Games Fest to announce the partnership, so that's sad in retrospect.  
That sucks.

the-pi-guy

Apparently Deviation has been a "revolving door" for a while. According to someone in the industry on Era.

Horizon

Guess we know why they didn't acquire them but did acquire Haven and Firewalk.

BananaKing

Thats the nature of development I guess. Some projects work and some dont. At least haven and firewalk seem to be on the right track

kitler53

Thats the nature of development I guess. Some projects work and some dont. At least haven and firewalk seem to be on the right track
yeah, this seems to be Sony's new form of studio building.  give some young hungry team a chance and aquire those that work.  if it doesn't work they can easily cut ties without the liabilities. 

I kind of like it.    we already got kojima out of this.  I'm excited for jade/haven to have been successful.   ...but of course not every team will pan out b

BananaKing

yeah, this seems to be Sony's new form of studio building.  give some young hungry team a chance and aquire those that work.  if it doesn't work they can easily cut ties without the liabilities.

I kind of like it.    we already got kojima out of this.  I'm excited for jade/haven to have been successful.   ...but of course not every team will pan out b
Its one of the best ways to develop and build a first party studio.

Sony have operated this way for a very long time. GG and sucker punch where once third party studios. And after successful collaboration they bought them

Sony this gen seems to be willing to take the risk of buying a studio before it releases their first big game though. Firesprite, haven, and firewalk have all been bought. And housemarque was offered to be bought before they released retournal, but apperantly the studio waited till after the game was released

kitler53

Its one of the best ways to develop and build a first party studio.

Sony have operated this way for a very long time. GG and sucker punch where once third party studios. And after successful collaboration they bought them

Sony this gen seems to be willing to take the risk of buying a studio before it releases their first big game though. Firesprite, haven, and firewalk have all been bought. And housemarque was offered to be bought before they released retournal, but apperantly the studio waited till after the game was released
it's industry building unlike MS which is industry killing.  I like it. 

BananaKing

it's industry building unlike MS which is industry killing.  I like it.

I mean a lot of other publishers do the same. They aquire studios they work with. EA, Activision, ubisoft, Bethesda all did that

Nobody wants to spend billions developing a studio. It doesn't make financial sense

the-pi-guy

Horizon

One of the things to remember about Deviation is they are based in LA which is really expensive. If you're going to have a studio their you must really deliver. ND,Insomniac and Santa Monica are worth paying the expenses because they deliver. The likes of Haven, Firewalk,Firesprite etc are all based in much cheaper regions so the cost of running them is much cheaper.

the-pi-guy

One of the things to remember about Deviation is they are based in LA which is really expensive. If you're going to have a studio their you must really deliver. ND,Insomniac and Santa Monica are worth paying the expenses because they deliver. The likes of Haven, Firewalk,Firesprite etc are all based in much cheaper regions so the cost of running them is much cheaper.
I would say this is largely true except for Firewalk. Bellevue, WA is worse than LA cost wise.

Horizon

I would say this is largely true except for Firewalk. Bellevue, WA is worse than LA cost wise.
Oh is it really? That's a surprise to me. I'd assume LA would be more expensive than Seattle due to the sheer size, competitive nature of the industry in the city and demand for land in the city.

the-pi-guy

May 14, 2023, 11:05 AM Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:13 PM by the-pi-guy
Oh is it really? That's a surprise to me. I'd assume LA would be more expensive than Seattle due to the sheer size, competitive nature of the industry in the city and demand for land in the city.
Seattle is more cramped, far fewer people but they're fitting them in a smaller space.

Cost of living is slightly lower in Seattle but comparable. Slightly higher in Bellevue.

Bellevue is home to Bungie, Valve, formerly MS's headquarters, Sucker Punch. There's a huge tech industry there.

Go Up