PlayStation Showcase May 24th 2023 Live Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, May 24, 2023, 03:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

• PlayStation Showcase 2023: May 24, 2023, 08:00 PM End Countdown
Go Down

nnodley

I'd likely buy the handheld as an easier way of using remote play on the go. Like in the airport, etc. But I'm not usually out of the house with a need for it very often so it may not be a quick buy but a good price may sway me

Legend

Sony revealed 4 of their games. Not a lot to go on, but do you expect them to be successful?

Fairgame$ - Not getting a good reception on youtube but hard to tell how much of that is from the cgi trailer or the game itself. Doesn't look like a character shooter like I first thought, but it still has that dumb zaniness. The non lethal gameplay will make it accessible to a wider audience but I doubt Payday players and the like will switch to it. DOA if it's just a multiplayer heist game. Jade Raymond though has a good track record so maybe there's more to the game.

Helldivers 2 - Had a great trailer and already has some fans thanks to the first game. Doubt it becomes huge but I expect it to do better than Helldivers 1.

Marathon - Nothing in the trailer but bungie has never missed. Of course it'll be successful (eventually). Wish it had a campaign though.

Concord - Basically nothing to go off of. PVP multiplayer first person shooter set in space. The 2001 Space Odyssey hyperdrive is at least cool so I'll give it that.

Concord: 52k views, 1.2k likes
Fairgame$: 58k views, 1.5k likes
Hellivers 2: 66k views, 3.7k likes
Marathon: 110k views, 5.6k likes

Horizon

You only have one chance to introduce a new IP and if you botch it will have significant long term implications. The have utterly screwed Haven and Firewalk's chance of success. You cannot announce new IP with bland CGI.

Spider-man 2 and Helldivers were the only 2 which delivered from first party. Insomniac actually have stepped up significantly. No idea where the rest of the first party stuff is. Don't understand why you'd announce Haven's game over say Bluepoints with a CGI. Some strange decisions all around.

BananaKing

Im disappointed. The third party and indie games were fine. But wtf is up with all the CGI trailers?

CGI trailers suck specially for multiplayer games because I honestly have no idea what the games are about. I have no idea what the firewalk game is about.

Spiderman 2 looks dope AF though

the-pi-guy

Contraband vs Fairgame$

SWORDF1SH

What games are far off?
Concord, Marathon and Fairgame. No gameplay shown and I presume Sony would show stuff that are most further along in development. There probably a few exceptions where some projects are closer to release that we don't know about but for the overall output, everything seems way off.

Horizon

I just cannot imagine Fairgame$ (wtf is that name lol) being further ahead than Ghost 2, Firesprite's game, Bluepoint etc.

To me it was either they wanted to show GAAS for the future or show their most recent acquisitions in Haven,Firewalk and Bungie. There something definitely strategic as for what to show and the fact all 4 announcements were GAAS says it all. I think who ever was managing this show completely misread the room and has now forever tainted these titles. What they should have done is have a balance of SP and MP. Show Firewalk's game (since it is 2024) along with another SP announcement (even if CGI). We really did not need to see Haven's game and no one was expecting to see it.

the-pi-guy

Concord, Marathon and Fairgame. No gameplay shown and I presume Sony would show stuff that are most further along in development. There probably a few exceptions where some projects are closer to release that we don't know about but for the overall output, everything seems way off.
Concord is next year, I don't think that's far off... It's been in development for 5 years already. I just don't know why that was their showing.
No idea when Marathon or Fairgame are coming out.

kitler53

Fairgame$ and concord just should not have been shown if all they had was a "teaser" and with "full reveal" planned for next year.  

horizon ZD was the epidome of how you introduce a new IP.   pick a moment that broadly shows the story/art/theme of the game and then seemlessly transition into excellent looking gamplay.   the only thing i know about concord is that i like the style of the logo.   unless the gameplay is jiggling a burger i don't even have a clue what genre the game is which is a terrible way to introduce a new IP.   "metroid prime 4" can be introduced with just a logo i guess but even then,..  who wants to see just a logo!?!?

helldivers 2 was fine.  1) it has a previous game that even if it wasn't played by a ton of players it established what the game is.  i myself played it only a little bit (maybe 4 nights with my co-op buddy so like 8-12 hours) but i could see a pretty nice transition of all the previous's games ideas to a 3rd person shooter perspective.   i saw that because,... t2) hey showed some gameplay!

spiderman 2 looked excelent imo but also,..  as i was watching it i felt very much a sense of deja vu:

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Shinobi
Yes, there are several teams that are far along enough to show things. I never said "all of that will be here", or even alluded to anything. I don't really know the time and place they'll do that. I don't know 100% of what they decide to put in showcases or State of Plays. Maybe they want to announce things much closer to when they launch now. But then again that doesn't explain announcing things like Fairgames, Concord and Marathon with nothing teasers.

Personally? I expected a lot more to be there yesterday and was surprised (and very disappointed) at the lack of first party presence.

kitler53

kitler53

going to be honest,.. this looks pretty great.   bungie has overhyped before but i think this looks really fun.

Legend

Cool that they released this video. Odd that they didn't include this in the showcase.

A traditional E3 show with presenters on stage would have been so much more informative.

BananaKing

Yeah why didnt they do interviews with the devs after? Like they usually do that. Talk about your games a bit, tell us what they are and where you want them to go as GaaS games. Tell us what to expect. Get us interested

Dr. Pezus

Spidey looked much better in 4k

Go Up