Why would anyone want this?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 05, 2023, 09:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

There are a lot of complaints about VR, that I'm very aware of.
The headsets are heavy, where are the games, this makes me sick.  

A lot of these I'm hopeful that they can be figured out. Some concerns can't really be fixed.
If someone just flat out doesn't like things on their head, I understand that; and pretty cognizant of the fact that won't be fixed.

But there's a complaint I don't really understand. And it's mostly the complaint "why would anyone want VR?"

To me, VR seems like a natural way forward.

Often times it seems like people have a very narrow view on what VR is.

They don't seem to think about something like:

Iron Man 2 Amazing Interfaces & Holograms (Pt. 1 of 3) - YouTube

Coming soon...the 'Star Wars' phone that lets you talk to holograms of your  loved ones / 2045 Initiative

They don't seem to think about VR being the size of glasses, or having these kinds of use cases.

They just seem to be stuck on VR as this:

Oculus Rift Review: A Clunky Portal to a Promising Virtual Reality - The  New York Times

Legend

I don't care for ar. It looks cool but it's less practical for most things.

VR though is amazing. Full imersion.

the-pi-guy

I don't care for ar. It looks cool but it's less practical for most things.

VR though is amazing. Full imersion.
A lot of these things I've been bundling together AR/VR, since it's pretty trivial to have pass through + multiple screens on VR.

I think there are so many potential and already available use cases for AR/VR, that it just doesn't make sense to me that people don't seem to think of those possibilities.  

Want to talk to grandma in "person", you can!
Want to go to grand canyon without actually going to the grand canyon? You can!
Want to go to the moon? You can!  
Want to play on a piano, but don't have the space to have a piano? Well here ya go!

Legend

A lot of these things I've been bundling together AR/VR, since it's pretty trivial to have pass through + multiple screens on VR.

I think there are so many potential and already available use cases for AR/VR, that it just doesn't make sense to me that people don't seem to think of those possibilities.  

Want to talk to grandma in "person", you can!
Want to go to grand canyon without actually going to the grand canyon? You can!
Want to go to the moon? You can!  
Want to play on a piano, but don't have the space to have a piano? Well here ya go!
It'll be interesting to see how Apple's launch goes. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd assume most people would have the "immersion" knob cranked to max after a few weeks. For example I loved watching Netflix in Gear VR because the environments were so cozy and transformative. Why would someone want just a floating screen when they can have so much more? If you want social aspects, then use passthrough to transport people to the virtual world.

Until headsets get as trivial to wear as glasses, I don't think the AR side is worth it most of the time.

the-pi-guy

Why would someone want just a floating screen when they can have so much more?
Yeah but it's a 50 foot screen, and I have toddlers.  8)

the-pi-guy

It'll be interesting to see how Apple's launch goes. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd assume most people would have the "immersion" knob cranked to max after a few weeks. For example I loved watching Netflix in Gear VR because the environments were so cozy and transformative. Why would someone want just a floating screen when they can have so much more? If you want social aspects, then use passthrough to transport people to the virtual world.

Until headsets get as trivial to wear as glasses, I don't think the AR side is worth it most of the time.
Back on this though, I really feel like a lot of people dismiss the immersion aspect.  

Legend

Back on this though, I really feel like a lot of people dismiss the immersion aspect.  

I think it's hard for people to understand unless they've experienced it themselves, and even then it's hit or miss until the quality improves.

I'm so excited to finish Hapax and go on a short VR sabbatical of sorts. I've only experienced the gen 1 stuff.

darkknightkryta

We need like, some kind of glove that gives us proper resistance to replicate holding.  Plus finger tracking.  I want to interact with objects in games.

the-pi-guy

We need like, some kind of glove that gives us proper resistance to replicate holding.  Plus finger tracking.  I want to interact with objects in games.
At least on the finger tracking Meta's headsets and Apple's headsets already support that. Although usually developers favor controller usage.

Gloves and other things are still being researched.

Legend

What is the point of a glove unless it's attached to a robotic arm? Pinching stuff and feeling resistance is cool but it's only a small fraction of the forces needed for true feedback.

I want to juggle in VR and "feel" the weight of objects in my hands.

darkknightkryta

What is the point of a glove unless it's attached to a robotic arm? Pinching stuff and feeling resistance is cool but it's only a small fraction of the forces needed for true feedback.

I want to juggle in VR and "feel" the weight of objects in my hands.
Yes. I can't think of a better way :(

kitler53

VR is cool for games on occasion but i wouldn't want it to be standard.   it's like 100x worse than all the things i hate about phones already.  they isolate you from those around you.

the real dream is the star trek holo suite.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens