Embracer $2 billion development deal cancelled after 7 months of negotiation

Started by the-pi-guy, May 24, 2023, 01:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Embracer was being offered $2 billion dollars for development over 6 years.

kitler53

I'm sorry,.. what's the story here?  who was the contract with?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Ya I'm confused as well

the-pi-guy

I'm sorry,.. what's the story here?  who was the contract with?
There's not really a crazy impactful story.

Just thought it was interesting that apparently someone was working with Embracer and wanted to have some $2 billion worth of development done over 6 years.

kitler53

There's not really a crazy impactful story.

Just thought it was interesting that apparently someone was working with Embracer and wanted to have some $2 billion worth of development done over 6 years.
yeah, just found the era thread.  

so the other party isn't known.  only so many could float at $2 billion price tag.  my thoughts are:
- MS
- Amazon
- Disney

BananaKing

yeah, just found the era thread.  

so the other party isn't known.  only so many could float at $2 billion price tag.  my thoughts are:
- MS
- Amazon
- Disney

Could be anyone really.

It sounds like it could be EA. I could see them wanting help on their new initiatives. Battlefield, mass effect, dragon age are all IPs that probably need a massive amount of support  

Could he take two, Activision, Microsoft or even square.

kitler53

Could be anyone really.

It sounds like it could be EA. I could see them wanting help on their new initiatives. Battlefield, mass effect, dragon age are all IPs that probably need a massive amount of support  

Could he take two, Activision, Microsoft or even square.
I mean maybe but my thoughts are
- 6 years is 1 game cycle
- $2 billion is like 4 AAA games or like 8-12 titles as a support studio.  

if it is fully developed by embracer I can only see Amazon/Disney looking for that.  both have been cost cutting lately too

if it is support then only MS has enough going on to need that much help.  I suppose Sony too but I think $2 billion is too high of a commitment for it to be them plus they are increasing investment not pulling back. 

the-pi-guy

Kotor remake is probably dead....

Legend

odd that the other party said no. Sounds like an easy payday without risks.

Kotor remake is probably dead....
Is this the first remake to have development issues? FF7 took forever to be announced but it released just fine.

the-pi-guy

May 24, 2023, 03:28 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 03:35 PM by the-pi-guy
odd that the other party said no. Sounds like an easy payday without risks.
Sorry, the OP is a bit bare on details.
Embracer was being contracted for development, not the other way around.

Embracer cut their income forecasts by billions, largely because of this falling through.

SWORDF1SH

If I had a spare $2B, I'd give it to Mike to hurry up with Hapax. Still not used to calling it Hapax btw  :P

Legend

If I had a spare $2B, I'd give it to Mike to hurry up with Hapax. Still not used to calling it Hapax btw  :P
Feel free to call it VizionEck: Adventure: Hapax.

SWORDF1SH

Feel free to call it VizionEck: Adventure: Hapax.

Didn't we (me) call it VizionEck: The Phantom Game for a while (once).  We all laughed (just me)

darkknightkryta

Didn't we (me) call it VizionEck: The Phantom Game for a while (once).  We all laughed (just me)
I laughed (I don't remember this conversation)