Disney shuts down Star Wars hotel after just one year

Started by Legend, May 21, 2023, 03:29 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

No wonder. Imagine paying $2,000 per person for this:

kitler53

I wouldn't pay but I hate star wars.   seems like a neat experience overall though.  I would think most of the costs were building the thing (not running it).  i'm surprised it was worth closing.  Disney must have taken a huge loss on this. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

I wouldn't pay but I hate star wars.   seems like a neat experience overall though.  I would think most of the costs were building the thing (not running it).  i'm surprised it was worth closing.  Disney must have taken a huge loss on this.
2000 per person is insane though. Most starwars fans don't have the money to pay that kind of money

kitler53

2000 per person is insane though. Most starwars fans don't have the money to pay that kind of money
sure,.. I guess what I'm saying is on any investment like this there are two costs:
- sunk costs: building the hotel
- operating cost: wages of the staff mostly

I was taught in school that so long as the revenue exceeds the operating costs it is better to continue doing business even if overall you are loosing money. 

so like, would $500 per person not cover the operating cost while massively increasing demand.  $500 per person would be close to staying at any other Disney resort.  

just saying,.. I'm surprised that closing it was what Disney deemed the best path forward.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

sure,.. I guess what I'm saying is on any investment like this there are two costs:
- sunk costs: building the hotel
- operating cost: wages of the staff mostly

I was taught in school that so long as the revenue exceeds the operating costs it is better to continue doing business even if overall you are loosing money.

so like, would $500 per person not cover the operating cost while massively increasing demand.  $500 per person would be close to staying at any other Disney resort.  

just saying,.. I'm surprised that closing it was what Disney deemed the best path forward.  
Disney hotels are not that expensive, at least the ones I stay at  :P

The hotel only had 100 rooms so I doubt a lowered price would have worked with their current business model. Plus at the other hotels people spend additional money in the parks. Here they were supposed to spend their entire time in the hotel.