Prediction time: what Sony games will be revealed in the showcase

Started by BananaKing, May 17, 2023, 06:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

nnodley

Knack 3 baby!
that may be a joke but i really enjoyed 1 and 2.  lol. I'd take a knack 3 that's like $40

kitler53

It's over an hour, must have a lot of stuff tbh
sure, and hour means a lot of games discussed but..

...some of those games will already be known.  things like FF XVI or stellar blade that are coming out soon will very likely get another push.

...some of those games will be indies.  they said so explicitly.  things like volcano high could make a return and i'm sure there are more to announce.

y'all are acting like sony is going to announce every single game from every single 1st party studio all at once and therefore not be have another announcement/showcase again for the next 5 years.   too optimistic.  doesn't matter that cory's game has been cooking for a long time.   unless it's being released before the end of 2023 it doesn't have to be announced.  there is a big difference between being far enough along that they could show something and actually deciding to announce it.  there is a lot of strategy on how and when something is show.

showcase or no showcase it still doesn't make sense to do what MS does an announce things 4-6 years before release.  the sweet spot is 9 months for AAA for most titles.  A few really hotly anticipated titles can maybe be announced earlier but it shouldn't be the norm.   you don't want to be in a position where:
1. you have to announce a delay
2. what you announced isn't what actually ships
3. worst of all,.. the game gets canceled.  (phantom dust, scalebound)

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

y'all are acting like sony is going to announce every single game from every single 1st party studio all at once and therefore not be have another announcement/showcase again for the next 5 years.   too optimistic.  doesn't matter that cory's game has been cooking for a long time.   unless it's being released before the end of 2023 it doesn't have to be announced.  there is a big difference between being far enough along that they could show something and actually deciding to announce it.  there is a lot of strategy on how and when something is show.
Sony has like 25 internal development projects. And dozens more they're publishing. Their last showcase had basically 5 first party titles, plus 4 other Sony published titles. (2 of which are now first party).  So overall, expecting something like 7 more first party titles in their first big showcase in like 3 years shouldn't be particularly unreasonable.

The way Sony has been pushing their showcases, the vast majority of the content has been for the next ~12-18 months, and I would say there is usually 1 thing that's ~2 years out. Some super big title to look forward to. 2020 had God of War Ragnarok, 2021 had Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. So I would expect something similar here where most of the library is out by the end of 2024, with 1 thing for 2025.  (Which I get that you don't like, but that seemingly has been their strategy.)

If Cory's game is a 2025 game, it'll probably be the thing that finishes the show. That is pretty consistent with Sony's strategy.

I think it will be out sooner than you are probably thinking. I might be wrong about that. But they started teasing it minutes after announcing God of War Ragnarok. They had that interview right after the announcement, and said that Cory was working on his own thing and not directing Ragnarok. His new game has been in development for basically longer than Ragnarok has been.

BananaKing

I added GGs new game being announced. Most likely that's leaked multiplayer game

Legend

I added GGs new game being announced. Most likely that's leaked multiplayer game
Oh true that's definitely a good pick. Would be interesting having both it and TLOU factions revealed at the same show.

BananaKing

Oh true that's definitely a good pick. Would be interesting having both it and TLOU factions revealed at the same show.
Well I saw those reports from Sony today, and their investing as much as they did in live service games as they are doing single player.

In these show cases they announce multiple single player games. So I think its reasonable to assume they can do so with multiplayer games too.

I think Sony will want to push their live service effort hard too. And show that its part of their future plans. So I definitely think we will see more than one live service game.

Go Up