Google set to delete millions of YouTube videos this December?

Started by the-pi-guy, May 16, 2023, 09:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Blog.Google

Starting later this year, if a Google Account has not been used or signed into for at least 2 years, we may delete the account and its contents - including content within Google Workspace (Gmail, Docs, Drive, Meet, Calendar), YouTube and Google Photos.

the-pi-guy

9to5 suggests the YouTube part doesn't include the videos?

At the moment, Google is not planning to delete accounts with YouTube videos. (That would be tricky as some old abandoned clips might have historical relevance.)

Legend

2 years is a crazy short amount of time.

kitler53

2 years is plenty,.. especially for a Google account.  who can avoid the internet for 2 years these days without abandoning the account.  

just put a simple (if views > 10,000) I'm sure anything worth preserving would be preserved.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

2 years is plenty,.. especially for a Google account.  who can avoid the internet for 2 years these days without abandoning the account.  

just put a simple (if views > 10,000) I'm sure anything worth preserving would be preserved.  
Not everyone has things always signed in. 2 years is a really short amount of time to lose an account, not just have it marked inactive. My mom for example uses Edge as her browser and she probably hasn't logged in to google in ~5 years yet she still has photos stored there.

the-pi-guy