How do you feel about game industry "leaks"?

Started by the-pi-guy, May 11, 2023, 09:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

How do you feel about game industry leaks?

They're always bad
1 (33.3%)
They are usually bad, but there are some good exceptions
1 (33.3%)
It's a case by case situation
1 (33.3%)
They are usually good, but there are some exceptions
0 (0%)
They're always good, transparency is a good thing
0 (0%)
There's nothing wrong with the leaks themselves, the issue is how people tend to receive leaks
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

the-pi-guy

May 11, 2023, 09:43 PM Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 09:44 PM by the-pi-guy
What the title says.

kitler53

it's like when nude pics leak for a hot celebrity,.. of course I'm going to look but it's terrible that I did. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

If it's going to be revealed by marketing anyway, just let the company announce the way they want to.

it's like when nude pics leak for a hot celebrity,.. of course I'm going to look but it's terrible that I did.
Only exception imo is when it's an accurate leak about bad working conditions or things like that. Those leaks are mostly a good thing.

kitler53

If it's going to be revealed by marketing anyway, just let the company announce the way they want to.

Only exception imo is when it's an accurate leak about bad working conditions or things like that. Those leaks are mostly a good thing.
not sure I'd call that a leak I guess. leak is a spoiler imo. 

Horizon

Depends on the depth of the leaks. I think leaked art,footage or screenshots sucks. When it is a description of a game I don't think it's too big of a deal. I remember Shinobi leaking Horizon details and it got people more excited. The GTA 6 leaks show people cannot handle games in development so I get why publishers are cagey.

Legend

Depends on the depth of the leaks. I think leaked art,footage or screenshots sucks. When it is a description of a game I don't think it's too big of a deal. I remember Shinobi leaking Horizon details and it got people more excited. The GTA 6 leaks show people cannot handle games in development so I get why publishers are cagey.
I remember many people being negative towards the horizon leaks. Robot dinos sounded dorky until people saw the reveal trailer.
not sure I'd call that a leak I guess. leak is a spoiler imo.
If your definition of leak=spoiler then leak=bad, for sure.

nnodley

i'm ok with it just being the bare minimum of info being leaked about something.   Like i don't mind a game name or something being leaked or the setting, etc.  Anything beyond that is annoying as frick.

kitler53

If your definition of leak=spoiler then leak=bad, for sure.
yeah, and hence the reason i voted the way i did.   i like those moments as a trailer starts and we are in the live thread trying to guess what it is.  i think it's really dumb when leaks reveal everything that going to be shown at a "showcase" and them people leave the showcase saying shame like, "what a lame show.  not one surprise" even though there were tons of surprises if ya'll would quit spoiling them for yourself.

also,.. i can't think of one time a leak about a game has been hype inducing and not hype deflating.   the horizon ZD reveal was magical but the "robo dinosaurs" leak sounding dumb as hell.  these marketing teams put soo much effort into trying to wow us and leaks are just spoilers that bring the industry down.

...reporting on human right abuses are fine though.   i just don't consider that a leak.

the-pi-guy

yeah, and hence the reason i voted the way i did.   i like those moments as a trailer starts and we are in the live thread trying to guess what it is.  i think it's really dumb when leaks reveal everything that going to be shown at a "showcase" and them people leave the showcase saying shame like, "what a lame show.  not one surprise" even though there were tons of surprises if ya'll would quit spoiling them for yourself.
Someone say showcase?  8)

kitler53