What were your gaming firsts and do they still hold up?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 26, 2023, 01:43 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

First console?
First RPG?
First platformer?
First RTS?
First strategy game?
First fighting game?
First puzzle game?
Etc.

And do you still consider them good games?

Legend

PS1. No it's so ugly.
Pokemon Red. Haven't played it in a decade but I think so.
Donald Duck Goin Quackers, which until 10 seconds ago I thought was called "Gone Quackers." Prob not the first but first I could think of. No not good lol
Age of Empires. Yeah it's good.
Roller Coaster Tycoon. It's amazing
Tom and Jerry in war of the whiskers. Sure I think it might have been a good game.
The Amazon Trail was my first puzzle game. I was young and it was a puzzle figuring out what to do! I hope it's still a good game!

BananaKing

First console? Super Nintendo
First RPG? I dont remember, I was too young
First platformer? Most likely super Mario world
First RTS? Dont remember. Most likely red alert 2
First strategy game?  Whats the difference between this and RTS? RTS stands for "real time strategy"

First fighting game? Don't remember. It was on the SN and I was too young to remember its name, or if it was good or not. I wasn't a fan, it was too complicated. First fighting game I loved was mortal kombat though

First puzzle game? No way I can remember this. Was way to young and played a ton of those games on PC
Etc.

Red alert and super Mario of course. Great games still to this day.

First console? Super Nintendo
First RPG? I dont remember, I was too young. Perhaps it was pokemon red/blue. But I may have played some other ones before it. Its probably the first one I really got into
First platformer? Most likely super Mario world
First RTS? Dont remember. Most likely red alert 2
First strategy game?  Whats the difference between this and RTS? RTS stands for "real time strategy"

First fighting game? Don't remember. It was on the SN and I was too young to remember its name, or if it was good or not. I wasn't a fan, it was too complicated. First fighting game I loved was mortal kombat though

First puzzle game? No way I can remember this. Was way to young and played a ton of those games on PC
Etc.

Red alert and super Mario of course. Great games still to this day.

kitler53

First console? 
technically i was given an atari  2600, 5200, and commedore 64 all on the same day.   these where the consoles in my house from basically the day i was born and one day my mom said i could play with them.   NES was the first console that was specifically mine.

First RPG?
no idea.   eldin ring maybe?..

First platformer?
Maybe mario?   i had a lot of games on those early consoles but i'm not sure any of them qualify as platformers.

First RTS?
counter strike.

First strategy game?
counter strike?

First fighting game?
street fighter 2.

First puzzle game?
i guess i'll just say myst.   there was a game on the commedore 64 involving a tower of where a ball was placed at the top and you had to put objects from an inventory into that tower to avoid traps that would, imo, qualify as a puzzle game.  i've never been able to figure out what the game was called though.  i just know i played it a lot.

Etc.

i have nostaligia for my childhood but those early games are crud.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

First console: first console played was the super nintendo. First console that was personally mine was the PlayStation 2.

First RPG: Super Mario RPG, yeah it holds up.   8)
First platformer: Would have had to have been Super Mario Bros. Yeah I think it holds up well.
First RTS/First strategy game: Age of Empires 2, pretty easily holds up.
First fighting game: Punch Out, no idea, don't really play fighting games.
First puzzle game: no idea. Probably some random PC game.
First racing game: Probably Mario Kart Double Dash? I can't remember playing any on SNES or PS2.

kitler53

First RPG: Super Mario RPG, yeah it holds up.   8)

if it held up they'd just port it.  remaking it is an acknowledgement that it is basicaly unplayable without modernization.   ;D

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

if it held up they'd just port it.  remaking it is an acknowledgement that it is basicaly unplayable without modernization.   ;D
They're just making the visuals more in with modern mario design. Gameplay is untouched.  8)