Largest most powerful rocket ever, round 2

Started by Legend, Apr 01, 2023, 08:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

Wow. First time raptor 3 has been talked about. 350 bar is crazy since before raptor ~300 bar was the record for non flight and ~260 was the record for flight.

Legend

Cool new views. Working towards next launch in ~2 months.

Legend

New method to keep the launch pad from getting damaged. This will be the first time water is used to shield a launch pad. Water at rocket launches is incredibly common but it's primarily used to dampen acoustic energy.

SWORDF1SH

Legend

How effective is this?
We'll find out on the next launch. It's probably overkill at the moment, but they want to be launching at a rapid cadence.

Legend

Might get an august launch.

SWORDF1SH

What are the expectations this time?

Legend

What are the expectations this time?
For it to make it further before blowing up. My hopeful prediction is that it explodes on re-entry.

Non zero chance that it explodes on the pad and destroys a corner of Texas though  :P

Legend

A 33 engine rocket still looks so crazy. It's mind blowing that just 3 of these could launch a Falcon 9.

Legend

New test for longer and at full power.

I didn't expect the center to have so much outward force. I would have thought the rocket exhaust would make that happen anyway. I guess this would help stop violent vortices from forming.

Legend

Lots of steam but no visible damage, nice!

4 engines shut down early though. Don't know if the issues are engine side or ship side, but it's interesting that they're still having some trouble with this. Wonder if they just need to get flying regularly so they can work out the kinks.

Legend

Aug 22, 2023, 10:45 PM Last Edit: Aug 23, 2023, 01:48 AM by Legend
Rocket went back to the hanger to receive its hotstaging ring and was prepped for flight. It's now back on the launchpad.

Some people believe the launch will be in 9 days but September seems more likely.

Legend

Looks so clean nowadays with all the water. Hopefully that'll still apply for a full launch.

Legend

SWORDF1SH

Go Up