All the Summer 2023 Game Shows

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 08, 2023, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Quote from: jschreier
A PlayStation showcase is happening very soon. :)
:o

the-pi-guy

PlayStation Plus leaker:

PlayStation Showcase 2023 date will be announced TODAY !
It Took a Week to Film a Glass of Water in 'Jurassic Park' - Fact Fiend

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

2. you're pretty much completely wrong about "state of plays" not getting much attention.  the state of plays with smaller content get smaller attention.  when sony did a state of play for hogwarts legacy it got 11 million views.  Sony does a pretty good job setting expectations for each of their state of plays and that in turn affects viewership.  if sony says they are having a state of play and it will include something people want to see (spiderman 2 or an unannounced first party title) people will watch.  if sony says they will cover 5 or so minor indie release only the die-hards will show up.
Hogwarts is a pretty big exception.
Sony pretty much has two formats for "State of Plays", either a single individual game or a short showing with a variety of games.

Something like Spider-Man would absolutely get a lot of attention, an unannounced new IP from Sony probably wouldn't get the same kind of attention that Hogwarts does. Especially not in its own show.

3. it has been proven that trying to market 20 games at a time is less effective than trying to market 2 games at a time.  these showcases tend to have just a couple games that "go viral" and everything else is buried.   that's not good business.  3- 9 months of marketing (depending on the size of the game) is better than starting your marketing 3-5 years before release and having years of silence in-between.  Who's hyped for that game Rare is making that i'd have to google to remember what the name of it is?  no one,.. no one is.
The nice thing about these kinds of shows is that they can show people games that they probably wouldn't in other cases.  

Someone tunes in to see Spider-Man and they also get exposed to other things like Uncharted, something they never would have thought about before.  

And to some extent for a platform holder, showing a huge variety of games is more important. It's nice when a game is successful, but it's more important that you have a variety of successful games that bring people to your platform.

nnodley

it's HAPPPPPPENNNNING!

BananaKing

Its really the content that drives the interest. A game like hogwarts is gonna get a lot of views regardless if its in a showcase or not

But a showcase can draw a lot of people and has benefits. You'll watch all the announcements and see all the games, even if you weren't interested in some

Legend

E3 died so that not E3 can live! Even without Nintendo it should be great.

the-pi-guy

several new creations from PlayStation Studios
You hear that?

spellbinding games from our third-party partners and indie creators
Rather curiously there was a rumor recently that From Software was making a game called "Spellbound"...

the-pi-guy

Oh yeah, first hour long showcase since Future of Gaming..

BananaKing

the-pi-guy

Its confirmed to be an hour long?
A bit over:
The show will run a bit over an hour, focusing on PS5 and PS VR2 games in development from top studios from around the world. Expect a glimpse at several new creations from PlayStation Studios, as well as spellbinding games from our third-party partners and indie creators.

the-pi-guy

put me down for no showcase.   ...but i want to define that a bit.

of course sony will have more events for which they will announce and discuss games.   games have to be announced.  games have to be discussed.   when i think showcase i think the likes of an "E3 event" which means:
- a minimum of 15 games are shown
- those games cannot be indie games.   indie games can appear in a showcase but a showcase requires 15 non-indie games to be present.
- a minimum of 5 games must be 1st party.  3rd party games count but to be a showcase 1st party games must be present in force.
- a minimum of 5 games must be announcements.  already announced games with new trailers are great but there must be announcements too.  those announcements can be 1st or 3rd party.  also,.. it will qualify as an announcement even if it is "known" but it is only known via leaks.   aka if we see a trailer for TLoU mp project it qualifies as an announcement even though it is the worst kept secret in gaming.  but a gameplay trailer for spiderman 2 or wolvine doesn't qualify as an announcement.
- the show must span a minimum of 60 minutes.
Well 1 of 5 confirmed thus far

kitler53

Well 1 of 5 confirmed thus far
i mean, also sony used the word "showcase".  it will be fun to cross reference the show against my list and see if everything was met but i feel fairly comfortable conceding that you were right and i was wrong.   and hour long show with "several new creations  from playstation studios" + 3rd parties puts this pretty firmly on track to be a showcase. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

i mean, also sony used the word "showcase".  it will be fun to cross reference the show against my list and see if everything was met but i feel fairly comfortable conceding that you were right and i was wrong.   and hour long show with "several new creations  from playstation studios" + 3rd parties puts this pretty firmly on track to be a showcase.
Naïve hopeful optimism is sometimes correct.   8)

the-pi-guy

Go Up