All the Summer 2023 Game Shows

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 08, 2023, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I'm firmly holding blind faith in May 25th at the moment.  

May 18th comes around, we can start making dream lists.   8)

kitler53

I'm firmly holding blind faith in May 25th at the moment.  

May 18th comes around, we can start making dream lists.   8)
i've only got one item on my list,... Pi in shambles.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

i've only got one item on my list,... Pi in shambles.
The great thing about blind faith. I don't have to care until it happens  8)

the-pi-guy

Legend

Hope they mix it up. The last few have been fun but not as fun as the first few.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

The Showcase Church of Blind Faith is preparing to be proved correct with an announcement approximately one week from today, and an event the following week.

We look forward to your attendance in Pi's gloating party.   :-*

kitler53

The Showcase Church of Blind Faith is preparing to be proved correct with an announcement approximately one week from today, and an event the following week.

We look forward to your attendance in Pi's gloating party.   :-*
i'm certainly not going to be upset if you are right,.. but it's going to be more fun when i get to kick you while you're down.

the-pi-guy

i'm certainly not going to be upset if you are right,.. but it's going to be more fun when i get to kick you while you're down.
It's okay I'm not going to be upset if I'm wrong.  ;D

the-pi-guy

I'm not going to be upset if I'm wrong, but I think I'd be worried at that point.

They're running out of announced games. They don't announce many first party things at SoP, even the bigger ones only get like 2 announcements. We're pretty much down to Spider-Man, Wolverine, and a few external development projects.

I feel like either:
- State of Plays are going to be massively ramped up in terms of impact, despite the fact they weren't even 3 months ago.
- Sony has a showcase in the works, and we're just a little too far out from it.
- Sony development is generally in trouble for some reason. 

Could even be a combination of those three. Like maybe we'll see a Spider-Man 2 State of Play, and then there will be a real showcase in September after Spider-Man 2 comes out.

I think Sony has a pretty competent development structure, so I doubt that third one.

I would throw out that State of Plays don't get that much attention. I think the biggest ones are like 2.5 million views. The 75 minute Future of Gaming was viewed 15 million times. The other Showcases were viewed about ~4-5 million times. They generate a lot of buzz, and I am sure that's worth it. Even relative to the short term buzz.

I imagine that they want to kick out a big show that will generate a lot of buzz for months to come, similar to the Future of Gaming Showcase.

kitler53

okay, so in response:

1. it's not a "showcase" if it doesn't meet my criteria set forth earlier in the thread.   E3 events were showcases. 

2. you're pretty much completely wrong about "state of plays" not getting much attention.  the state of plays with smaller content get smaller attention.  when sony did a state of play for hogwarts legacy it got 11 million views.  Sony does a pretty good job setting expectations for each of their state of plays and that in turn affects viewership.  if sony says they are having a state of play and it will include something people want to see (spiderman 2 or an unannounced first party title) people will watch.  if sony says they will cover 5 or so minor indie release only the die-hards will show up.

3. it has been proven that trying to market 20 games at a time is less effective than trying to market 2 games at a time.  these showcases tend to have just a couple games that "go viral" and everything else is buried.   that's not good business.  3- 9 months of marketing (depending on the size of the game) is better than starting your marketing 3-5 years before release and having years of silence in-between.  Who's hyped for that game Rare is making that i'd have to google to remember what the name of it is?  no one,.. no one is.

4. i'm certain while get something in may/june,..  if not i'll share your worry.  not about playstation overall but specifically about playstations 2023 line-up.   we're not going to get shadow drops (imo) but if we don't get some kind of a show soon then that pretty much says there are no unknown (exclusive) games shipping until the holiday.  that means things like TLoU mp isn't likely to hit this year which i still think its going to happen.  to be fair,.. i thought that would land last year and clearly i was wrong.

5. the correct strategy to generate buzz is not to have a showcase.  it's to have a consistent flow of games release that people want to play.  
- GoW is still fairly recent.  
- forspoken did not live up to expectations but it is still recent
- Hogwarts legacy is still recent even if not exclusive it was huuge.
- Horizon burning shore literally just released.
- Humanity is next week even if a smaller title
- FF XVI is right around the corner
- diablo and builders gate will be huge even if not exclusive
- Spiderman 2 is still set for september
- and there's quite a bit of stuff dated for 2023 atm even if at least half of it is likely delayed out
  - volcano high
  - little devil inside
  - seasons
  - pragmata
  - stellar blade
  - FF 7 rebirth

i mean, c'mon.  playstation is selling at a massive rate right now.  i'm quite certain it has enough "buzz" right now that it doesn't need to have a showcase.  it just needs to keep shipping great games and that's a pretty good list even if sony has absolutely nothing more to share this year.

oh yeah, almost forgot.  psvr2 shipped this year too with exclusives like H:CotM

the-pi-guy

Team Showcase in shambles.

kitler53

the-pi-guy

Go Up