Firmament OT: releases May 18th, next game from Myst and Obduction devs

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Mar 10, 2023, 04:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Ouch.

From the Dev's point of view, it has to be hard to read those kinds of things. It terrifies me to think that I would let people down.

From the gamer/consumer point of view, it feels disconcerting reading some of the responses that the developer is making. Like maybe it's totally normal/recommended. But it feels like the developer is responding to people as this is what the game is and hopefully you will like it better after some bug fixes.

Like in their response to that review, they're more concerned that there might have been some marketing suggesting FMVs, instead of responding to the review being disappointed by the lack of them.

It's surely something that developers/publishers would probably actively push against doing, but I feel like if I was in that circumstance, I would start reworking the whole game.

But I feel like at the very least, I feel like I would expect some vague response that felt hopeful.
Your gut reaction was my problem with the very first version of VizionEck, and it's still something I struggle with. Disappointing people sucks but it happens and you just need to move on. Their response is pretty weird though. Almost feels passive aggressive as if they're calling out the player for expecting FMV. It'd be better to just not respond in this case.

It's been really interesting watching this launch unfold. It's a great case study. I was surprised for it to get essentially no Metacritic reviews. Obduction got 31 yet Firmament so far only has 2. It's awesome that they got money from Kickstarter because this doesn't look to be doing too good.