The Music Thread

Viewing single post

Started by kitler53, Sep 23, 2016, 01:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Jan 27, 2023, 05:35 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2023, 05:39 PM by kitler53
I tried Built to Spill. I definitely see where they are similar to Oliver Tree.  But i'm into it for sure.  Keep it like a secret is good from what i've listened to. Its a very 90's style of music, but that was such a good era for music.  I miss some of that.

Hippo Campus is up there with Lord Huron for me.
yeah, i think if i could express it:
1. certainly a bit of it is the sound.  both are doing that like fake falsetto thing.  both are rock bands or whatever.
2. but more of it is like,.. the sound is pretty bright and cheerful but the lyrics have a dark or self deprecating humor to them.   

i've always liked it when a band and find that delicate contrast of cheerful but sad.   for me the epitome of that is weezer's pinkerton.  dear god, that album can span all the way from party to attempted-suicide...   i don't care too much for where weezer has gone lately but dang if those first two albums are amazing.   

my other favorite is real big fish's turn the radio off.  such an amazing album.  such a shame they never really nailed that particular sound down on their follow-up albums.

and yeah, i'm an 80's and 90's child.   i'm not as bad as some about not embrassing new music but my library is very heavily skewed to that era.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens