PlayStation Studios Development

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

I most definitely don't agree with the bolded. I really, really think that people need to stop acting like there is some tactical plan behind Sony not releasing their games in the holidays, they simply aren't able to get them out on time.

Oh and about Cambridge, with them I'm currently worried that they might get closed by Sony since Rigs seems to have done so poorly even for a VR game.
Doubt Cambridge is going away after RIGS. As far as I know, they didn't experience any immediate layoffs after their VR game released, unlike London Studio. RIGS had better critical reception than most VR titles it seems. There really aren't any titles that sold gangbusters from what I've heard and it wouldn't be fair in the least bit to blame them for not achieving sales that really no one has. Pretty hard to sell well when the highest selling big VR device, Sony's own, has only moved a couple hundred thousand.

Developing for VR is also a different beast and most studios are brand new at it. If Sony had any expectations of immediate greatness from anyone making VR games, they were purposefully stacking the deck against them.

As pointed out, Cambridge made a better Killzone game in Mercenary than Guerrilla did with Shadowfall. I also thought I heard that only a small team within Cambridge made RIGS while the rest worked on DLC for Shadowfall and began work on a game from "a multimillion selling franchise".

We'll probably find out within the next 12 months what's going on with them, but I wouldn't worry. London Studio is way more likely to get the axe, and rightfully so I feel.