Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Generally, they are people who have very poor intelligence, but are exceptional at something. 

Like one guy is unable to multiply 3 x 5, yet he could tell you that February 7, 1900 fell on a Wednesday in a few seconds.  Or that December 8th, 2098 will fall on a Monday. 

Well, not necessarily poor intelligence.  But I think those are the coolest cases.  If you've ever seen Rain Man. 
This is about Kim Peek, who Rain Man was based off. 

I'm impressed that you actually made sure those weekdays were accurate :)

Yeah it's interesting that lots of above average intelligence people have other parts of their brains severely below average.

darkknightkryta

thats if time its self is has a linear model as we perceive it.

Well some 8 dimensional being would be able to manipulate time and space in our lowly 4 dimensions.  Though, since I haven't become king of the universe yet, I'll assume there isn't one.

Xevross

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't like what interstellar did with the black hole involving time and space and what not. I presume that what happened is pretty impossible irl...

BK edit: just covering up spoilers.

Legend

Spoiler for Hidden:
<div class="quoteheader"><a href="https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bf9c9c2452d88240e7b460356c336ad7&amp;topic=829.msg60094#msg60094">Quote from: Xevross on Dec 08, 2014, 11:00 PM</a></div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote"><br />I don't like what interstellar did with the black hole involving time and space and what not. I presume that what happened is pretty impossible irl...<br /></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><br /><br />Yeah but in the movie the black hole was used to hide that building right?

BK edit: just covering up spoilers, yo.

Xevross

Spoiler for Hidden:
<div class="quoteheader"><a href="https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bf9c9c2452d88240e7b460356c336ad7&amp;topic=829.msg60096#msg60096">Quote from: Legend on Dec 08, 2014, 11:02 PM</a></div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote"><br />Yeah but in the movie the black hole was used to hide that building right?<br /></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><br />Or was the building thing put inside the black hole? Either way it just seems stupidly impossible

BK edit: its like the spoiler button doesnt even exist :(

Legend

Spoiler for Hidden:
Or was the building thing put inside the black hole? Either way it just seems stupidly impossible

You can't put anything in a black hole. They're singularities of matter.

Xevross

You can't put anything in a black hole. They're singularities of matter.

Yeah but that part of Interstellar was pretty much fiction anyways. I can't wait to learn more complicated science at college :)

Legend

Yeah but that part of Interstellar was pretty much fiction anyways. I can't wait to learn more complicated science at college :)

Once you learn it, then build a spaceship and go see it!

Xevross

Once you learn it, then build a spaceship and go see it!

I'll send you on a test flight first though

mustacheman

Black holes do involve time, but the film was a complete scientific fiasco.

Legend

Black holes do involve time, but the film was a complete scientific fiasco.

Much much better than gravity though!

the-pi-guy

I'm impressed that you actually made sure those weekdays were accurate :)
Yeah it's interesting that lots of above average intelligence people have other parts of their brains severely below average.

I'm impressed that you actually checked to make sure those weekdays were accurate. 

Much much better than gravity though!

That's not saying much, tbh. 

darkknightkryta

I'm impressed that you actually checked to make sure those weekdays were accurate. 

That's not saying much, tbh. 

I'm impressed you guys like weekdays

NeverDies

I just got a laugh when they landed on the one super speed high gravity planet. They should have been pasted instead of being able to walk around.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Legend

I just got a laugh when they landed on the one super speed high gravity planet. They should have been pasted instead of being able to walk around.

No actually they'd be fine since the planet had normal gravity, it was the black hole with the high gravity. The force pulling them towards the black hole was also pulling the planet, thus no squishing.

Go Up