Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

why wouldn't they be able to go faster?

Well for starters the speed of light is constant regardless of how fast you're moving.

If you're going 10 trillion mph and turn on your headlights, they'd still work just fine. It's all very complicated and confusing.

Slayer

Well for starters the speed of light is constant regardless of how fast you're moving.

If you're going 10 trillion mph and turn on your headlights, they'd still work just fine. It's all very complicated and confusing.

yeah but why?

Legend

yeah but why?

Because they just do?

I think we don't know yet. It's more of an observable event backed up by mathematics than a clear understanding of why the universe works this way.

the-pi-guy

7H3

so if i'm driving 30mph and I turn on my lights, the light isn't going 30mph+ speed of light? does that mean if you were going close to the speed of light the distance light went would be shorter than if you were going slower?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

darkknightkryta

so if i'm driving 30mph and I turn on my lights, the light isn't going 30mph+ speed of light? does that mean if you were going close to the speed of light the distance light went would be shorter than if you were going slower?

No, it's going C only.  The "joys" of Special Relativity.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Once upon a time, they thought that information, gravity, light were infinitely fast.  But several experiments showed that it wasn't the case that light was infinitely fast.  They thought they should get results like what you are saying.  c+v=

But all experiments showed that the speed of light was limited to c. 

the-pi-guy

Where did you find that video?

Youtube. 
"speed of light c"
5th result

Why? 

Legend

Youtube. 
"speed of light c"
4th result

Why? 

I'm subscribed to a ton of science channels on youtube, so I was interested in the fact that you didn't find a vid from one of them.

the-pi-guy

I'm subscribed to a ton of science channels on youtube, so I was interested in the fact that you didn't find a vid from one of them.

I need more science channels. 

Legend

the-pi-guy

7H3

"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

the-pi-guy

Don't let the dream die people! 

My science teachers let me keep a bunch of textbooks. 

Go Up