Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mmm_fish_tacos

There was one episode of AE where they kept finding examples in the bible and art of the Earth being round instead of flat.

"The people back then thought it was flat, so aliens must have told them the truth!"

The truth actually is that the Earth being round was common knowledge for thousands of years.

Never mind my last quote.

Raven

There was one episode of AE where they kept finding examples in the bible and art of the Earth being round instead of flat.

"The people back then thought it was flat, so aliens must have told them the truth!"

The truth actually is that the Earth being round was common knowledge for thousands of years.

As early as 6th century BC is when we start hearing someone credited with claiming the Earth is round. Pythagoras was the one being credited though we suspect others may have thought of it sooner than that.

Raven

No i visited you moms house quite often before then. But you know she's past her prime.

You, sir, have low standards.

Mmm_fish_tacos

darkknightkryta

The third is everything being pulled apart. Nicknamed the Big Rip.

It wasn't that.  It was something else.

read some more posts.  I remember my Astrophysics teacher showing us a video about string theory.  If that theory works out then our universe came when two branes collided with each other giving energy off into a new universe.  Where are these other dimensions?  Well they're right here *points in front of me*.  Those were her words.

Raven

darkknightkryta

7H3

Wikipedia is not a reputable resource for information... :P
did you guys ever see this thread? http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=279.0
there is an article linked there that talks about higgs boson and scientific findings and what they mean... basically the math behind contraction theories were so messed up that there findings have given cause to rethink and redo the math as we shouldn't be here according to those findings.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Raven

Wiki is actually really good for nerdy stuff.

Yeah. For pop culture it sucks. Start talking science and it becomes a pretty good source of basic information.

Raven

Read above, I made an edit.

I believe Brian Greene is currently working on string theory as one of its lead guys. One thing is definitely for sure... for everything we know there is an dog load we don't and every time we shed light on something we realize how in the dark we still are.

7H3

wiki is not reputable, and should only be used to get a good idea about something, but you can't really quote it as fact from wiki
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

wiki is not reputable, and should only be used to get a good idea about something, but you can't really quote it as fact from wiki

We aren't talking about writing college papers here lol.

For scientific pages, wiki is just as reputable as most other websites dedicated to the field.

darkknightkryta

I believe Brian Greene is currently working on string theory as one of its lead guys. One thing is definitely for sure... for everything we know there is an dog load we don't and every time we shed light on something we realize how in the dark we still are.

Yeah, I think this is also the problem with quantum mechanics.  There's so much going on there, I don't think our 4 dimensional minds would ever be able to comprehend.

Slayer

Go Up