The effect music and entertainment have on each other

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 28, 2019, 07:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

By entertainment, I mean movies, games, etc that use music in their works.  

Music is often used to set the mood in entertainment.  

Personally, these experiences can be pretty impactful.  It sometimes feels like the entertainment and music work to improve each other by adding an emotional attachment.

Good music can elevate a good experience to a great one, and vice versa.  

Some of my favorite experiences are tied into some of my favorite soundtracks.

For me personally, I think music adds more to an experience than people give credit.  

Dr. Pezus

Just watched the borderlands 3 trailer, eh?  8)

kitler53

By entertainment, I mean movies, games, etc that use music in their works.  

Music is often used to set the mood in entertainment.  

Personally, these experiences can be pretty impactful.  It sometimes feels like the entertainment and music work to improve each other by adding an emotional attachment.

Good music can elevate a good experience to a great one, and vice versa.  

Some of my favorite experiences are tied into some of my favorite soundtracks.

For me personally, I think music adds more to an experience than people give credit.  
i've often said that but i will also say you need to generalize that statement to just "sound".  

yeah music.  but also the sound when mario jumps.  the sound when you fire a gun in <<insert your favorite shooter here>>.  the sound when you get loot.  

getting the sounds right does more to make/break a game than anything else imo.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Just watched the borderlands 3 trailer, eh?  8)
Actually I was watching Rick and Morty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-XCaA2HZs

But I was thinking about other things too.  Some of my favorite games also have sound tracks that I would listen to without playing the games.  
Part of me wonders if I would care as much about the game if it didn't utilize a particular song to push an emotion.  
Part of me also wonders the opposite, would I care as much about the song if it wasn't part of the game?

That's largely what motivated me to make this (kind of awkwardly written) thread.  

When those types of experiences are really done well, they can really stick with me for a very long time.  It's one of those things that people don't really talk about very much, but when I really sit down and think about it, it's a big factor in what I would consider some of my favorite games.  

i've often said that but i will also say you need to generalize that statement to just "sound".  

yeah music.  but also the sound when mario jumps.  the sound when you fire a gun in <<insert your favorite shooter here>>.  the sound when you get loot.  

getting the sounds right does more to make/break a game than anything else imo.
Yeah absolutely!
People do talk about good music in games, but I feel like people don't really get a sense of how much good music/sound work can really add to an experience.  

kitler53

Actually I was watching Rick and Morty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-XCaA2HZs

But I was thinking about other things too.  Some of my favorite games also have sound tracks that I would listen to without playing the games.  
Part of me wonders if I would care as much about the game if it didn't utilize a particular song to push an emotion.  
Part of me also wonders the opposite, would I care as much about the song if it wasn't part of the game?

That's largely what motivated me to make this (kind of awkwardly written) thread.  

When those types of experiences are really done well, they can really stick with me for a very long time.  It's one of those things that people don't really talk about very much, but when I really sit down and think about it, it's a big factor in what I would consider some of my favorite games.  
Yeah absolutely!
People do talk about good music in games, but I feel like people don't really get a sense of how much good music/sound work can really add to an experience.  
i'll come back to agree with you again and this time provide a real life experiment.

1. listen to a movie (a thing i often do while in the kitchen cooking)
2. watch a movie on mute.

tell me which experience is fun and which experience is as dull as watching paint dry.  sound ftw!

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens