The Verge (Lockhart): "We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance."

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Jun 26, 2020, 03:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

MS has been lobbying developers hard for years now that games should be developed with "dynamic resolution".  

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/9afems/digitalfoundry_tech_focus_dynamic_resolution/

its a very PC-centric solution to hardware of various specs for games developed in a very "last gen" methodology.   in that regard lockhart (and win 10 support) makes a lot of sense, it's a natural extension of this classic approach to game development.

it will be an interesting here to see if the benefits of the ps5 architecture blows up MS entire plan or if the shear volume of PCs and xboxs will defeat innovation.  I personally think that MS will demand lockhart support and thus hold back game development.   developers will hate it but i'll bet they do it.   going ps5 exclusive is just losing too much of the market and 3rd parties really are moving more towards that "scalability" approach to not only support something like lockhart but also mobile.
Dynamic resolution isn't specifically helpful for lockhart imo. It's a useful tool that has been popular since before the xbox one released, but it only helps with one bottleneck.

For example if this info is real, xbox one x has more usable RAM and could have a higher max dynamic resolution even if it doesn't hit it very often.

Scalability is a very real thing and the majority of games will have no problem supporting lockhart. It doesn't hold back all next gen games, it just holds back specific next gen games. I'd just expect better specs in this thing if it was mandatory.

I think the hope is
XSX: 4K gaming
XSS: 1080p gaming

It probably won't work out that way...  

I expect MS to discontinue the Xbox One this year.  
If that was their goal, I'd expect more ram. Say a next gen game averages ~6gb for cpu side ram and ~6gb for gpu side ram. If it drops everything on the gpu by 75%, you get exactly 7.5gb. That works great.

But what about literally any game that uses more ram that doesn't scale with resolution? How is the game supposed to be ported without decreasing quality. Would players be happy if games on Lockhart feel last gen with cut content?