PS5 Specs to Be Revealed by Mark Cerny Tomorrow 9AM PST

Started by Xevross, Mar 17, 2020, 12:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

BananaKing

It's a great console and to be honest exceeds what I expected before any leaks happened.

I expected a slightly higher TF number but RDNA will make the performance much higher than that TF number shows. They also have a strong CPU this time

SSD and raytracing is a big deal. It's an extremely powerful machine and we will most likely get a pro version that will be an absolute beast.

If this retails for 399 then holy shame

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

Ive been out of the loop, but it seems weaker this time around.

Xevross

Yeah PS5 seems like a cheaper BOM than XSX but its focussed much more where it counts and optimised better for a next gen system. Seems like Sony cared more deeply about bottlenecks and making sure everything works well together while MS just pumped the numbers up.

XSX may manage more frame rates if unlocked and a higher resolution if variable but most games should be 4K60fps anyway, and PS5 looks like a true generational leap with the SSD.

PS5 should be cheaper and feel more next gen, as long as it is powerful enough to hit 4k60 on every big game. If that happens, Sony are onto a winner yet again.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Well, i read the xbox thread. So there will be two and the one they showed off is the high end?

the-pi-guy

Mar 18, 2020, 08:01 PM Last Edit: Mar 18, 2020, 08:12 PM by the-pi-guy
Well, i read the xbox thread. So there will be two and the one they showed off is the high end?
The second one isn't confirmed by MS. 
It's confirmed by pretty much everyone else though. 

the-pi-guy

I think PS5 is great hardware
Great hardware, but I was hoping for slightly better.

But still, better than I was expecting, but I thought I was being very pessimistic there.  

but as I said before I worry about how they are handling marketing and the business side of things. So far it's not a smooth launch.
It just feels like they are making a lot of misteps here.  
BC, is it full or not?  Why would there only be ~100 titles at launch, if it was so important to them?  

Mmm_fish_tacos

I dont think he meant that only 100 would work. Just that they made sure the top 100 would.

Legend

4k 60 fps will not be standard next gen.

I think this gen could end up with both systems having pros and cons. It's more like 360 vs ps3 than xb1 vs ps4.

the-pi-guy

Mar 18, 2020, 08:56 PM Last Edit: Mar 18, 2020, 09:03 PM by the-pi-guy
4k 60 fps will not be standard next gen.
It won't be. 

But it feels like MS wants:
Series S to be a decent 1080p60 machine.
Series X to be a decent 4K60 machine.

BananaKing

Yeah PS5 seems like a cheaper BOM than XSX but its focussed much more where it counts and optimised better for a next gen system. Seems like Sony cared more deeply about bottlenecks and making sure everything works well together while MS just pumped the numbers up.

XSX may manage more frame rates if unlocked and a higher resolution if variable but most games should be 4K60fps anyway, and PS5 looks like a true generational leap with the SSD.

PS5 should be cheaper and feel more next gen, as long as it is powerful enough to hit 4k60 on every big game. If that happens, Sony are onto a winner yet again.

Both are beasts. Xb1 has the faster CPU and higher TF. PS5 has a faster GPU which has extra benefits. We will see a marginal difference in multiplate games. It's not like this gen where there was a 40% power difference and PS4 has faster and better memory.

To be honest I dont care about the power difference here. Its minimal. They are both high end machines and I bet we will see some extremely impressive stuff on both

Xevross

Great hardware, but I was hoping for slightly better.

But still, better than I was expecting, but I thought I was being very pessimistic there.  

It just feels like they are making a lot of misteps here.  
BC, is it full or not?  Why would there only be ~100 titles at launch, if it was so important to them?  
Yeah where did you get the ~100 titles from? He said they tested the top 100 by playtime and almost all of them worked off the bat which tells me that almost all PS4 games will work in BC straight away.

the-pi-guy

Yeah where did you get the ~100 titles from? He said they tested the top 100 by playtime and almost all of them worked off the bat which tells me that almost all PS4 games will work in BC straight away.
It's bungled messaging.  

Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time

They are talking about expanding coverage, but the only current quantifier for coverage is the 100 games.  

ResetEra and most media outlets are taking it to mean only the 100 games are what's working.  

So that's the ambiguity that Sony needs to cover.  

How many games are going to work at launch?  How many work right now?  

kitler53

while i agree this was not a good marketing piece for the general public,.. i found it quite interesting.  tons more informative than MS's "spec sheet".   we should always count on cerny making a well designed console and this will be no exception.

personally, i really like the 3D audio part.  that is really exciting to me.

as far as bungling the BC messaging goes,.. i pretty much disagree with you guys.  i thought the messaging was clear.   i the "unclarity" is coming from the xbox fanbase that will intentionally misrepresent any information they can to try and make it look bad.  this is just a fanboy war tactic.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Shots fired!

Go Up