Valve has been nothing but horrible with hardware support this gen. Will VR be different?

Started by Legend, Dec 02, 2019, 02:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Remember Steam Machines?

Steam Link was also abandoned.

Steam Controller was just recently abandoned as well.

I wouldn't expect Valve to give up on VR but could knuckles and/or their headset end up following the trend? Shut down production and sell off remaining units but keep the software functioning?

the-pi-guy

VR will probably be different.

From what I understand each of those hardware things Valve pursued for a reason.  

Steam Machines were pursued because they were worried about MS and apple would be tightening their grip on what apps could be run.  
So they started pushing Linux as a gaming alternative.  Instead Proton was a more feasible push than SteamOS.  

I think there are a lot of differences with the VR market.  
They have a better idea of what they are getting into, and they have some long term plans with games and hardware plans.  They've even discussed BCI.  

kitler53

wasn't "steam machines" more of an OS then hardware.  i mean, yeah, valve would pre-build you a computer with their OS already installed on it but they were just gaming computers.  i'm pretty sure you could just install windows on it if you weren't happy with their OS support.

valve should have discontinued the steam controller before launch...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

wasn't "steam machines" more of an OS then hardware.  i mean, yeah, valve would pre-build you a computer with their OS already installed on it but they were just gaming computers.  i'm pretty sure you could just install windows on it if you weren't happy with their OS support.
Yep, it was the OS.  That's really all they did with it.  They didn't make any of the machines.  

the-pi-guy

Something to add is those other hardware devices supplemented their current services.  
Their VR push is the other way around.  They are using games to supplement their hardware.

This could kind of go either way as evidence they will support it long term or they might not.  It's definitely an example of how it is different, but it also means more risk which means they might be more likely to bail.