General Politics Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 08, 2017, 12:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

May 14, 2018, 02:42 PM Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:44 PM by Xevross
Trump and the idiot crew have opened the US embassy in Jerusalem today. Gaza are protesting of course, but the IDF has murdered at least 41 of them and injured over 1000 with live bullets and sniper rifles. Israel have also bombed a Hamas facility. Can you imagine the international outrage if Palestinians bombed an IDF facility? Man, fudge this.

The whole thing is truly despicable, awareness around the globe needs to increase.

the-pi-guy

Senate passes measure to repealing changes to net neutrality rules - CNNPolitics

Senate voted to restore net neutrality.  It passed, but it's unlikely to make it through House. 

Trump and the idiot crew have opened the US embassy in Jerusalem today. Gaza are protesting of course, but the IDF has murdered at least 41 of them and injured over 1000 with live bullets and sniper rifles. Israel have also bombed a Hamas facility. Can you imagine the international outrage if Palestinians bombed an IDF facility? Man, fudge this.

The whole thing is truly despicable, awareness around the globe needs to increase.
My uncle: "they protest everyday."

Xevross

Senate passes measure to repealing changes to net neutrality rules - CNNPolitics

Senate voted to restore net neutrality.  It passed, but it's unlikely to make it through House.  
My uncle: "they protest everyday."
Ah yes, and protesters deserve to get sniped. I forgot about that, my bad.

the-pi-guy

Bill Gates talks about Trump.  Trump asked Bill Gates about vaccinations being bad, and didn't know the difference between HPV and HIV.

"When I first talked to him it was actually kind of scary how much he knew about my daughters appearance"

Xevross

Lol all those things sound very Trump.

Dr. Pezus

Trump Pulls Back Obama-Era Protections For Women Workers

Scum

I think awareness will increase after their Eurovision win. We're already protesting here, many don't want us to compete in Eurovision next year to protest

the-pi-guy

Xevross

The blonde wig wearing wotsit cancelled the meeting with North Korea. Basically because they insulted him.

10/10 diplomacy

Mmm_fish_tacos

That meeting would have been a total dumpster fire. Probably best that it was canceled.

the-pi-guy

The blonde wig wearing wotsit cancelled the meeting with North Korea. Basically because they insulted him.

10/10 diplomacy
North and South Korean leaders hold surprise meeting

Mmm_fish_tacos

North and South Korean leaders hold surprise meeting
I really wish we had nothing to do with this. Americans only involvement should have been as an enforcer if things go south. Let the Koreans work out denuclearization and unification between themselfs.

the-pi-guy

Jun 13, 2018, 02:44 AM Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 02:46 AM by the-pi-guy
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><div style="text-align:center;margin:auto;padding:5px;max-width:560px;"><div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;padding-top:0px;height:0;overflow:hidden;" class="youtube a6YaGlQXu5Q"> <iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a6YaGlQXu5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div><br>

Apparently it has a very slightly nsfw tag.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

the-pi-guy

What do you Americans think of this trade war that Trump has started?
A lot of people are really clueless about what a trade deficit is.  I've literally talked to people who thought that a trade deficit basically meant that a country was stealing from us.  If we have a $30b trade deficit with Norway, they think that means that Norway still has to pay $30b to us.  

Basically by their logic, if I go to Walmart and buy $10 worth of stuff, Walmart owes me $10 because now I have a $10 trade deficit.  

Even more problematic is that the US does a massive amount of services, even for other countries.  We actually had a surplus against China when you take that into account.  

So the justification for the trade war is based on false assumptions.  

Growing up, I thought that having more tariffs ought not to be a bad thing.  We have a giant debt and deficit and I figured that tariffs could be a way to pay off some of it.  

But of course, things are hardly that simple.  For two reasons.  Other countries can do the same to us, and a lot of businesses are dependent on trading certain things.  A lot of manufacturing companies were getting very worried about the steel and aluminum tariffs.  

Whether the issue is just that we are putting tariffs on things that are too important or putting tariffs on things in general isn't helpful, I don't know enough to be sure which is correct.  

But overall, it seems way more damaging than it is worth.  

Go Up