Xbox Series and PS5 Games Comparisons

Started by Xevross, Nov 11, 2020, 11:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

i'm loving these early comparison as a someday ps5 owner.   

not that i expect i'll ever get an xbox but if i did series s just isn't cutting it for me.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

i'm loving these early comparison as a someday ps5 owner.   

not that i expect i'll ever get an xbox but if i did series s just isn't cutting it for me.
So far Series S has proved 100% pointless. It barely performs better than last gen consoles and xbox has no exclusive next gen games yet.

I feel vindicated in saying straight away since series S was announced that I worry its not going to be good and let people down. MS hit it out of the park with their advertising of it and it looked like its going to sell bucket loads, but then we saw the actual specs of it and yeah its not great is it. MS almost got away with some borderline false advertising with series S and it almost feels good to see it struggle right from the off.

Sony's approach is the best one for all involved. The digital PS5 is much better value for money and is much more future proofed with a better feature set. People who get a series S could be seriously burned in a few years time I feel.

Dr. Pezus

DF's Valhalla video

Series S:
PS5 and Series X:However, the key takeaway is that PlayStation 5 is much closer to the 60fps target more of the time, while Xbox Series X can struggle. In fact, at its worst, we noted PS5 delivering a 15 per cent performance advantage over its Microsoft equivalent in identical scenarios

XSX also a lot more tearing and occasionally lower res. Really a huge difference here when considering the specs

nnodley

Wait wasn't series x suppose to be native 4K?

And ps5?  So they are both dynamic 4k

the-pi-guy

It is up to 4K.

Dr. Pezus

I mean it's up to the devs as always. They'd have to reduce quality and/or framerate to reach native 4k always. I think checkerboarding/dynamic 4k with solid 60fps is the better choice than 4k30fps

Xevross

Yeah that was a mistake to add it to the Series X description from Ubisoft, which is the reason they removed it. Of course, the theory from certain types of people was that it was actually true and SX was native 4K while PS5 wasn't and Ubisoft were just covering their asses. Now we know.

Xevross

https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-assassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-series-s-next-gen-comparison.328679/post-51908138

DF guy clarified that he means PS5 performs better than XSX by 15% on average, not at the extreme. Its not a huge difference, a lot of players won't notice 15% and its less than the start of last gen. but its quite a big swing from the expected (more like XSX should be 15% better).

Xevross

Nov 18, 2020, 10:11 PM Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 10:14 PM by Xevross
Also gonna update this because why not.

PS5 launch games not playable on series (and review score so far):

- Demon's Souls (92)
- Spidey MM (85)
- Astro's Playroom (84)
- The Pathless (80)
- Sackboy (78)
- Bugsnax (76)
- Godfall (61) *timed exclusive

Series launch games not playable on PS5 (and review score so far):

- The Falconeer (69)
- [Tetris Effect Connected (87) *this is a timed exclusive multiplayer expansion of a PS4 game, PS4 version playable on PS5 through BC but multiplayer is exclusive right now]
- [Yakuza Like A Dragon (85) **timed exclusive-ly not on PS5- this is playable on PS5 through PS4 backwards compatibility but native version is next year]

Legend

https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-assassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-series-s-next-gen-comparison.328679/post-51908138

DF guy clarified that he means PS5 performs better than XSX by 15% on average, not at the extreme. Its not a huge difference, a lot of players won't notice 15% and its less than the start of last gen. but its quite a big swing from the expected (more like XSX should be 15% better).
That's a huge difference from a tech point of view. No player should care, but it's not just a frame here or there like other games.

Xevross

That's a huge difference from a tech point of view. No player should care, but it's not just a frame here or there like other games.
Yeah it is. Here's his tweet for more detail:

So if PS5 wasn't hitting that 60fps cap constantly it would actually be a bigger than 15% difference, wow.

the-pi-guy

That gap is absurd.

SWORDF1SH

Digital Foundry Dirt 5 Series X/S and PS5 comparison.

Legend

It's kinda crazy how PS5 is building its image as the stronger system. There have been so many fanboys worried about PS5 holding next gen back, and now other fanboys could (wrongly) claim the same thing about Series X.

Real loser is series s. It's a great system only for a few edge cases. For most people it's better to get a full next gen console or keep enjoying current gen for a few years.

kitler53

It's kinda crazy how PS5 is building its image as the stronger system. There have been so many fanboys worried about PS5 holding next gen back, and now other fanboys could (wrongly) claim the same thing about Series X.

Real loser is series s. It's a great system only for a few edge cases. For most people it's better to get a full next gen console or keep enjoying current gen for a few years.

the real loser is series x and ps5.  series s is going to drag the entire generation down. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up