Another dev thinks Gamepass cannibalizes sales, Furi update not coming to xbox

Started by Legend, May 13, 2022, 09:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

kitler53

yeah, i saw that.   thought of posting but also thought you'd guys just think of me as overly negative.

fudge GAMEPASS!!

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

There are two things that really bug me about the Gamepass discussion.
  • For some reason, it is taken as granted that Gamepass is sustainable. For some reason, it is not up to MS to prove that the Gamepass model works, it is up to everyone else to prove that it doesn't. We see this in people saying Sony absolutely needs to follow suit. We see this with people quoting Phil Spencer, when without providing any context to what sustainable means, he says Gamepass is sustainable, that must mean Gamepass is profitable and it's good for everyone. We see this when it's suggested that Halo Infinite cost half a billion dollars, that therefore Gamepass can afford a half a billion dollar game. 
  • Selfishness. People saying it's great if MS buys up the entire industry, because then everything will be on Gamepass and that's good for me because I can afford Gamepass.

Legend

There are two things that really bug me about the Gamepass discussion.
  • For some reason, it is taken as granted that Gamepass is sustainable. For some reason, it is not up to MS to prove that the Gamepass model works, it is up to everyone else to prove that it doesn't. We see this in people saying Sony absolutely needs to follow suit. We see this with people quoting Phil Spencer, when without providing any context to what sustainable means, he says Gamepass is sustainable, that must mean Gamepass is profitable and it's good for everyone. We see this when it's suggested that Halo Infinite cost half a billion dollars, that therefore Gamepass can afford a half a billion dollar game.  
  • Selfishness. People saying it's great if MS buys up the entire industry, because then everything will be on Gamepass and that's good for me because I can afford Gamepass.

Don't forget it's mostly just fanboys ruining the discussion at large. Like how a few years ago it was a big thing to call Sony anticonsumer because first party exclusives are anticonsumer. It was just a transparent defense of Xbox having no games at the time. Gamepass stuff today is the same thing and the "internet consensus" will change rapidly as companies change their pr.

To your specific points though since there are genuine people pushing these thoughts too:
1. With Netflix struggling right now, you'd think people would be more open to gamepass being an unsure thing.
2. The $1 people really frustrate me, or whatever the cheap way is to get gamepass. I'd love to have gamepass again but no it's not cheap at all. Some people seem to get lucky with glitched discounts or weird promotions but for practically everyone, gamepass is full price or the black Friday price.

kitler53

I hate that on the one side:

"gamepass is awesome.  I've saved so much money!"

is quickly followed by:

"gamepass is awesome for developers.  it actually increases sales!"

okay first off,.. no developer said #2.  they said lots of people downloaded to their game.  don't conflating downloads with sales or profits.  unless your game is designed to make money via mtx a huge player base doesn't matter to the developers profit. 

secondly,. #1 proves #2 incorrect. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens