Sony FY21 report

Started by the-pi-guy, May 10, 2022, 01:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

I can stand their PC push, but ugh why are they putting so much towards live service.
i don't have the information right in front of me but i think i remember sony reporting how huuuge portion of their total revenues was just taking their 30% cut of mtx related to fortnight and CoD and a few other live service games.   clearly sony wants to be in on that revenue from the other side.

i do think it will be hard.  these games are community based and you're either a mega hit (fortnight) or your a complete failure (anthem).  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Because they make money and they don't have any at the moment.

Their push for single player games isn't as strong because they already have a strong single player output. So they increase that gradually.

Personally I am excited about their multiplayer push. They had little to offer in the PS4 gen, which was sad because their multiplayer offerings during PS3 were awesome
I do get that, I just wish there was a similarly large move to expand their traditional title catalog as well.  

And it's pretty clear that Sony is not putting their traditional titles on the back burner, and is going to be seeing more increases.

But I wish more of it went towards traditional games.  

Legend

Another thing.

Avatar is listed as a big upcoming release. Pretty random to include next to Forspoken and Hogwarts unless Sony has a deal with it. So maybe we'll get a new trailer at their show.

the-pi-guy

Zhuge takeaways for those who aren't interested in looking through the whole presentation.

kitler53

what zhuge said,... and that's why i think gamepass is dumb.   

industry wide games are transitioning to releasing as nothing more than a platform to sell mtx.   attaching a $70 "value" to a free-to-play game and then giving it away for "free" based on a yearly subscription fee is dishonest and swarmy.   i'll just keep playing rocket league and cancel my subscriptions if that's the future i have to look forward to.

for ps+++ to have value to me it needs to start including the mtx expansions to games like destiny.

Legend

Again, Sony's PC numbers are really low. Also shows steamspy's new method is pretty inaccurate.

Steamspy underestimated Horizon, thinking it sold 1.39 million verse the real 2.39 million.

Days Gone however sold 1.7 million according to steamspy yet really only sold 0.85 million.

God of War on steamspy sold 2.7 million, yet really only sold 0.97 million.

kitler53

Again, Sony's PC numbers are really low. Also shows steamspy's new method is pretty inaccurate.

Steamspy underestimated Horizon, thinking it sold 1.39 million verse the real 2.39 million.

Days Gone however sold 1.7 million according to steamspy yet really only sold 0.85 million.

God of War on steamspy sold 2.7 million, yet really only sold 0.97 million.
at least its more accurate than vgchartz...

SWORDF1SH

at least its more accurate than vgchartz...
I could throw darts at a dartboard with my eyes closed and come up with numbers better than VGC's predictions!

the-pi-guy

kitler53

so if we restrict our view to current IP (because why wouldn't they be using the IP with synergy for their game releases) we can reasonably guess that about half of their games are getting a film/tv cross-promotion.

the-pi-guy

May 26, 2022, 06:44 PM Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 08:00 PM by the-pi-guy
We have 7 confirmed already.

• Twisted Metal
  • The Last of Us
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Gran Turismo
  • God of War
  • Horizon
  • Uncharted 2 probably.
  • Jak and Daxter apparently
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???

the-pi-guy

Sony has something like:
x mobile titles
2x PC titles
4x PS4+PS5 titles
4x PS5 titles

As it stands, they have 3 PC titles for this year, 2 PS4+PS5 titles. 

I presume currently 1 PSVR2 title(PS5).

I don't think it's a good idea to read too much into this.

It's possible that there are indies that count because Sony is backing them, even if they aren't listed as a publisher. That doesn't seem terribly likely, but there are some weird inconsistencies in their charts, like they don't apparently count Gran Turismo 7 as being a live title, despite being always online and having microtransactions.

But it seems like they should have a lot to come out in the next 10 months and they don't have a lot announced as of yet. 

Go Up