State of Play June 2nd

Started by the-pi-guy, May 27, 2022, 02:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Was hoping for more to be honest.

But its a State of Play, you shouldn't have expected anything.  ???

Legend

Maybe I'm just older, but despite the new announcements they don't feel that interesting, ya know?

I didn't feel the need to create a thread for anything they showed.

the-pi-guy

Summary:

Resident Evil 4 coming March 24th, 2023.
Resident Evil Village PSVR2
Walking Dead Saints and Sinners PSVR1 (2022) and PSVR2 (2023)
No Man's Sky PSVR2
Horizon Call of the Mountain extended trailer
Horizon FW update
Spider-man Remastered coming to PC August 12th, 2022
Not in Showcase, but Spider-man Miles Morales coming to PC this fall
Stray coming July 19th
The Callisto Protocol coming December 2nd, 2022
Rollerdrome launching August 16th
Eternights launching early next year
Street Fighter VI coming 2023
Tunic
Season a letter to the future
Final Fantasy XVI coming to PS5 next summer

the-pi-guy

Maybe I'm just older, but despite the new announcements they don't feel that interesting, ya know?

Personally most of the announcements were pretty expected. It made for a good show, but there's not too much I'm looking forward to.  

SWORDF1SH

People expect way to much. It seems like the same reactions after a show 99% of the time.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

So this looks like a linear experience to me.

It looks like battles happen on smaller stages, and they're 1:1. Definitely not an "experience" and looks like a full game, but it also doesn't look like an open world Horizon.

I feel like it could end up being wonky. AI feels like it is going out of its way to not bother the player, except maybe at the end when it looks like the player is about to be stepped on.

I feel like this will end up being an 8/10 game, and I don't tend to give score predictions. But this feels like it's going to fall short of the best VR experience to me. I might just be pessimistic.

kitler53

It's not like there was much to get excited about.  

A remake of an old game
A port to pc
A late port already on Xbox
Some old games with paver updates
A new game with welcome but pretty standard updates
A date for a game announce forever ago that will be fine but not amazing
A sequel to a long time franchise that didn't seem to show anything different than before
An indie game that didn't show very well
And then calisto protocol and FFXVI

I wouldn't say the content was bad but it's pretty easy to putt on the back burner. 

I am pretty excited about calisto just due to my love of dead space.   FF looked great too,.. but I've never actually played the franchise.  I hated the turn based games of like FF 1,2,3 that my friends used to make me watch them play.  I should probably give the franchise a shot as this game did look fun. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

People expect way to much. It seems like the same reactions after a show 99% of the time.
Well for me, I was hoping for more VR games from Sony. And the third party games they showed I dont care about.

I hate SF and I skipped through it, after what happened with SF5 I am adamant I wont let Sony abd capcom was more of my time with that franchise.

The only thing that was cool that caught me off guard was castillo protocol

Legend

So this looks like a linear experience to me.

It looks like battles happen on smaller stages, and they're 1:1. Definitely not an "experience" and looks like a full game, but it also doesn't look like an open world Horizon.

I feel like it could end up being wonky. AI feels like it is going out of its way to not bother the player, except maybe at the end when it looks like the player is about to be stepped on.

I feel like this will end up being an 8/10 game, and I don't tend to give score predictions. But this feels like it's going to fall short of the best VR experience to me. I might just be pessimistic.
Yup maybe there will be a bit more from before the river scene but it looks like just river and then climbing a mountain, hence the name. I'd bet it's around 2 hours long.

Hopefully this is not Sony's strategy with psvr2 games. I'd much prefer full vr support ala resident evil if they don't have the budget for full games ala Half Life Alyx.

kitler53

Yup maybe there will be a bit more from before the river scene but it looks like just river and then climbing a mountain, hence the name. I'd bet it's around 2 hours long.

Hopefully this is not Sony's strategy with psvr2 games. I'd much prefer full vr support ala resident evil if they don't have the budget for full games ala Half Life Alyx.
both strategies can be fine.  

VR exclusives let you do things with the game design that just tacking on VR to RE won't allow.  

but VR ownership will still be small so expect short games and not AAA games.

half life alyx won't be matched for a very long time. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I would be surprised if it was that short.

Their previous VR game was a ~10-12 hour experience, and they're touting this as a AAA VR game.  I'm thinking it'll probably be a 12 hour game, but maybe with 2 hours of unique experiences.

I'm really looking forward to a Astrobot VR2.  That would be something I definitely spend $70 on.

Legend

I would be surprised if it was that short.

Their previous VR game was a ~10-12 hour experience, and they're touting this as a AAA VR game.  I'm thinking it'll probably be a 12 hour game, but maybe with 2 hours of unique experiences.

I'm really looking forward to a Astrobot VR2.  That would be something I definitely spend $70 on.
The Persistence was a rouglite so it can be a lot longer than a linear game. Although I also thought Blood and Truth was closer to 2 hours before just looking it up (it's 5-6). I'll try to remember this thread next year to see how things ended up.

both strategies can be fine.  

VR exclusives let you do things with the game design that just tacking on VR to RE won't allow.  

but VR ownership will still be small so expect short games and not AAA games.

half life alyx won't be matched for a very long time.
Small vr exclusives are fine but Call of the Mountain appears too small. Maybe it'll surprise me but it doesn't seem to be doing anything that couldn't be replicated in the open world of the base game. If it was VR exclusive DLC built like Frozen North, it'd be a lot cooler.

Go Up