Is Undertale worth playing? I'm not sure

Started by Legend, May 05, 2022, 08:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'm an hour in and it's kinda slow and simple. Doesn't help that it's 7 years old, but I'm not feeling it. The talk vs fight mechanic is so shallow. Gameplay wise it's nice and interesting but it's just another form of combat.

Also it feels fake. I tried to play as a good guy and the game doesn't even let me. You have to be socially manipulative to progress.

Is it worth finishing?

kitler53

dunno.  bought but not played.  I've heard it's amazing.  

kind of spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
I also heard you have to get past the first ending to really get it.  having not played it I don't really even know what I'm talking about but the ending isn't the ending. ..and the second ending is also not the ending.  and that's apparently when it gets really good.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

dunno.  bought but not played.  I've heard it's amazing.  

kind of spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
I also heard you have to get past the first ending to really get it.  having not played it I don't really even know what I'm talking about but the ending isn't the ending. ..and the second ending is also not the ending.  and that's apparently when it gets really good.

I guess I'll play more before giving up on it.

the-pi-guy

I haven't played yet. Well, I started it and started something else instead.

I do want to try going back to it. But at this point, I'll wait for it to go on sale on PSN.

And gah, hopefully I will finish Elden Ring by then.  :'(

kitler53

I guess I'll play more before giving up on it.
you do you.   I intend to play it sometime "soon".  it's even downloaded to my system.  just saying I've heard it's great. 

Legend

you do you.   I intend to play it sometime "soon".  it's even downloaded to my system.  just saying I've heard it's great.
Finished and then watched videos to see the content I missed.

It's not that good.

It's a smart and funny game. I understand why lots of people love it, but it's also incredibly shallow and fake. What I experienced in the first hour was an accurate preview of the full game.

IMO it would have been a better game if they cut all the choices and cut the meta content. Just embrace the best ending. The game would have been far less famous if they did this so it's a good thing they didn't, but the message and experience would have been improved. As is the game is too interested in acting smart while being hypocritical.

kitler53

Finished and then watched videos to see the content I missed.

It's not that good.

It's a smart and funny game. I understand why lots of people love it, but it's also incredibly shallow and fake. What I experienced in the first hour was an accurate preview of the full game.

IMO it would have been a better game if they cut all the choices and cut the meta content. Just embrace the best ending. The game would have been far less famous if they did this so it's a good thing they didn't, but the message and experience would have been improved. As is the game is too interested in acting smart while being hypocritical.

lol, i'll try to play the game without too much of your rainbow on it. 

i'll still consider this going in blind even if i have a bit of a preview.  i'm really not too sure what to expect.

Legend

lol, i'll try to play the game without too much of your rainbow on it.

i'll still consider this going in blind even if i have a bit of a preview.  i'm really not too sure what to expect.
It's always healthy to go into a game with unsure expectations. The massive praise of the game definitely harmed my experience, since I'm comparing it to the types of games I love vs the average GameMaker Studio game.