Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 24, 2021, 07:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

digital foundry and a few over at resetera. it's not many yet but there are already a few frothing at the mouth declaring 60 fps not good enough.
But nobody here. I've just been talking about how I think 40fps is better than 60fps, so I'm definitely not one of those people.

kitler53

Jul 04, 2021, 01:35 AM Last Edit: Jul 04, 2021, 01:38 AM by kitler53
But nobody here. I've just been talking about how I think 40fps is better than 60fps, so I'm definitely not one of those people.
This thread is about 40 fps.
yes yes.  I'm laughing (to myself I guess) about how this thread is saying 40 fps is as good as 60 fps and the "sweet spot" as a juxtaposition of some of the media i've read about how "nessissary" 120 fps is and how VVR makes playstation unplayable compared to Xbox.

I'm not laughing at you guys (I physically can't see a difference between 30 and 60 fps) I'm laughing at the other guys.  mainly digital foundry. I've always been one to argue against the need for 60 fps.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

yes yes.  I'm laughing (to myself I guess) about how this thread is saying 40 fps is as good as 60 fps and the "sweet spot" as a juxtaposition of some of the media i've read about how "nessissary" 120 fps is and how VVR makes playstation unplayable compared to Xbox.

I'm not laughing at you guys (I physically can't see a difference between 30 and 60 fps) I'm laughing at the other guys.  mainly digital foundry. I've always been one to argue against the need for 60 fps.
My issue with most 60fps and 120fps talk is that higher framerates are better but online it's just a smug litmus test. No room for discussion, just a simple "enlightened" group wanting to feel superior to the casuals.

You should be able to easily see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps in a controlled environment. When actually playing a game though, you're far less likely to think about it.

kitler53

You should be able to easily see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps in a controlled environment. 
I can't though.  

I think it was 2001 that I was first introduced to the bouncing ball or rotating square gif that is supposed to clearly communicate the benefit of higher fps.  

I can see the difference between 15 to 30. I can't see any difference between 30 to 60 even in a controlled environment. 

the-pi-guy

I can't though.  

I think it was 2001 that I was first introduced to the bouncing ball or rotating square gif that is supposed to clearly communicate the benefit of higher fps.  

I can see the difference between 15 to 30. I can't see any difference between 30 to 60 even in a controlled environment.
Really?

Compare frames per second: which looks better?

I can definitely tell with the above.

Not as easy in game, and not a big deal to me.

kitler53

Really?

Compare frames per second: which looks better?

I can definitely tell with the above.

Not as easy in game, and not a big deal to me.
at 1000 px/s I think I can maybe tell right at the change in direction.  it seems to me the slower one doesn't quite make it all the way to the wall or something. 

at 500 px/s I can't tell at all. 

the-pi-guy

at 1000 px/s I think I can maybe tell right at the change in direction.  it seems to me the slower one doesn't quite make it all the way to the wall or something.

at 500 px/s I can't tell at all.
I'm really not sure what you are looking at.
The 60 fps one is always clearer, at the same settings.

Go Up