previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

What part?

Missing this year?   ;D
Or wolverine for 2024?
Whichever one makes me right  8)

But probably the first one. Insomniac is a powerhouse.

kitler53

What part?

Missing this year?   ;D
Or wolverine for 2024?

I'm like 80% expecting them to launch a VR game this year.

Either that or I'm going to start expecting Wolverine late 2023. And Spiderman early 2023.
i go out swinging,..

spiderman 2 is 2023 but they'll have AT LEAST 1 psvr 2 game in 2022.   I'm actually expecting 4 psvr2 games but it will be 1 new game and ports of their 3 previous titles.  perhaps those ports aren't all day-1 though and released with a few months between to round out a release schedule.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

In a weird way, I'm a little disappointed with this gen.

Like across the board, Sony is growing at a pace they've never grown at. More studios, more teams, etc by a pretty decent margin than they've had in a while.

The quality of games is way better this gen, but Sony used to publish just tons of games. Just dozens of games every year that most people are never going to care about.
There's more better games than ever, but there's a lot less variety.

Part of the issue is that games take longer to make. Horizon FW was 5 years in development, compared to even the PS3 gen where 3 different Uncharted games were launched in a 5 year span.  (Cheating a little bit, but 2 entire games were developed in a 5 year period)

The other issue is that they don't publish third party games as much as they used to. They would publish like probably half a dozen or more games from random third party studios. This gen, they're doing way more in house. And that's fine.

I am hopeful that we'll see some changes for variety, with some of the expansion that they're doing this gen. Get somebody to make an RPG. Get two somebodies! Maybe expand their racing into more arcade racing games (it's sad as heck that San Diego is focusing mostly on MLB, they had some really fun PS3 gen games like Modnation Racers (well they made the Vita version), but they also had Sports Champions, and Medieval Moves (not that these latter two are great games, but the variety is awesome.) I would buy better versions of those.

Legend

AA and below is where it's at. I wish Sony published smaller games to fill the void.

the-pi-guy

AA and below is where it's at. I wish Sony published smaller games to fill the void.
Firesprite feels like a good step in the right direction.
I kind of feel like though that Sony needs like 3 more Firesprite studios to focus on a greater variety of games.

BananaKing

Yeah just the other day I remembered how shu said 1 out of 10 games used to make money for Sony. Clearly that changed, but there are a lot of factors to it

Look at PS3 gen and Sonys financials, they changed their model to get out of losing money like that, while it wasnt the main factor they were losing money, you can understand how they saw it as a bad habit they wanted to change and not come back too

Games take more time to develop, even indie games

Self publishing going on the rise means more devs are opting for that, rather than going for Sony for deals

Sony still published alot of Vr games, they are still bringing a lot of unique and smaller games to their system, but a lot of them are just VR. Sony does have a limit on how many games they can publish a year.

I personally wish they would give their big devs a chance to produce small passion projects between major games. Something like hollow knight or journey. Made by a few devs when they have free time.

kitler53

I've said it before and I'll keep agreeing today...

...Sony needs a handful of small "indie" studios internal.  teams of 25 or less making short but unique game.  get some better variety and try something experimental.  

PS4/5 is in desperate need of a "flower" or "echochrone" or "pixal junk shooter".  

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

BananaKing

There is no need for a new xbox series S. Why add a new low level box when the series X would become the mid range device?

I think 2023 is a bit too soon for PS5 and xbox X pro. They are both selling out. Both still at 500, and the transition has been slow from last gen to this one. Coming in 2024 the pro versions can prolong the gen and help both companies make more profits as they do

Legend

Even 2024 seems too soon. These systems were expensive at launch and don't have anything serious holding them back atm like ps4 and Xbox One.

Support for better raytracing and other features like that will be important, but I feel like those could just be held off till next gen.

I assume this slide is not accurate. Most of its numbers are wrong.

the-pi-guy

Alexa believes that Series X is pronounced Series 10.  Looking forward to Series XI I guess.

kitler53

To be honest,..  I'm going to be a bit mad if this is true. 

BananaKing

To be honest,..  I'm going to be a bit mad if this is true.
Why? For those clamoring for gross gen to be over, this is good news. Bse PS5s power will he harnessed in a way to extract everything out of it. It won't waste it on higher resolutions or higher framtates.

The devs would develop games based on the Pros power and downscale res/framerate on base PS5. It would be pushed to its limits.

Go Up