General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I knew it!

I also thought they changed our street signs while we were in Italy. Google street view confirms.

BananaKing

Apr 18, 2023, 10:04 PM Last Edit: Apr 18, 2023, 10:08 PM by BananaKing
Anyone have any fun examples of people taking very normal things and making a big deal out of them, even conspiracies out of them?
I am a person who can get... very interested in conspiracy theories. Id say I am very susceptible to wanting to believe them?

Its just that they can get me very interested, so I am always cautious. I dont believe in many conspiracy theories though. I always look into them and try to be very objective. Im just a curious guy and conspiracy theories play on curiosity

The only one I can think of now is micheal Jackson became Muslim and thats why the media killed him. But im sure I heard a shame ton more, I hear them all the time

the-pi-guy

I despise the new YouTube layout....

Legend

I despise the new YouTube layout....
Oh no. Luckily mine hasn't changed yet.

the-pi-guy

Oh no. Luckily mine hasn't changed yet.
Stole this off reddit, apparently when I click on a video from the home page, it will do this:

Comments on the right side, giant piles of video recommendations all across the bottom.

kitler53

that' sounds like a great change!    ...for google.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I wish that someone made some kind of service where you can download different audio files for shows. For some reason iTunes anime separates dubs and subs, if they have the latter at all.  

Would be nice to be able to just add in the Japanese audio.  

Subtitles seem to be easier to find though.

Legend

While waiting on my trademark I randomly check other trademarks to make sure I know what to expect.

Firmament from Cyan (the myst devs) is pretty funny. They applied for the trademark a few years ago and wanted it for both games and shirts. USPTO eventually got back to them saying "dude, there's already a trademark for Firmament for watches and a trademark for Tofirmament for shirts. That's too similar, go home."

So Cyan said ok that's fine, we don't need the trademark for shirts. We just want downloadable video games.

Then the USPTO gets back to them saying "Sure that's great and all, but Firmamentium is too close as well and that's a video game."

Cyan replies "dude, we were the ones that trademarked Firmamentium. Cyan, Inc. and Cyan World, Inc. are the same company. Please give us our trademark."

Then the USPTO gets back saying "Oh we're sorry, we forgot to mention this months ago but actually none of this matters. We denied your trademark because Starpony Firmament bath toys are a thing and as we all know, bath toys and downloadable video games are pretty similar."

At this point Cyan must have been so frustrated. They send back hundreds of pages showing how the markets have nothing in common. They just want to trademark their downloadable video game.

But the USPTO was smarter than you'd expect. They went to Cyan's own website to show that they sold plushies and physical toys/trinkets. There indeed was significant overlap between the two markets and the trademark was abandoned.

Legend

Huh, the real meaning of grok sure is something.

kitler53

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/16/till-shines-3300-year-old-sword-found-in-germany-bronze-age-grave-bavaria

i thought this was pretty cool.

A bronze sword more than 3,000 years old , which is so well-preserved that it "almost still shines", has been unearthed in southern Germany, officials say.

The Bavarian state office for the preservation of historical monuments (BLfD) said the sword, which is believed to date back to the end of the 14th century BC -- the middle of the bronze age -- was found during excavations last week in Nördlingen, between Nuremberg and Stuttgart.

Legend

It's pretty cool. Might be the oldest sword ever posted here.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

how could you go wrong?  it's AI driven..

the-pi-guy

I foolishly cancelled the order and went with the model that's a step up.

the-pi-guy

I feel unreasonably excited about this week.

Buying an ethernet switch so I can hardwire my TV and PS5.
Buying two "routers" so i can have much better connection at my house.

Have Lord of the Rings in 4K coming, and hopefully my network will be up to snuff by Thursday.

Go Up