I need to talk about Star Wars, there is something everyone missed

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, May 10, 2022, 11:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I've been watching every main star wars movie and I noticed something really strange when I watched episode 8.

The movie has its stupid parts, but The Last Jedi is very "traditional." I remembered it as a big shakeup that went against Force Awakens and everything it was building, but it's not. Characters like snoke and the silver stormtrooper are respected about as much as villains in the original trilogy/prequels. They get their final showdowns just like Darth Maul, General Grevious, Count Dooku, Jengo Fett, Boba Fett, Jaba the Hut, and the emperor himself.

Unlike Force Awakens it switches up a bit more, but it's still very very similar to The Empire Strikes back. Luke acts exactly like Yoda, Del Toro betrays them like Han, the salt planet is like Hoth, etc.

My big TLDR is that I bet Disney and most people involved were surprised by the reaction. They thought they were just repeating the formula, yet it's widely considered the anti-movie.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Rose saving Fin is still incredibly dumb though lol. It's so stupid and out of place, also proving that this movie isn't a deep rebuttal of Force Awakens. I'd love the film if that was cut.