Announcing Polytope Engine, the world's first 2D, 3D, and 4D game engine

Started by Legend, Apr 01, 2019, 04:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

April 1, 2019 - VizionEck LLC has begun early development on the world's first 2D, 3D, and 4D game engine. This is an experimental project with many unknown factors. To help improve our odds of success, development is highly agile and the end result is only loosely defined.

VizionEck's upcoming 4d video game is the main driving force behind the creation of the Polytope Engine. True 4D gameplay and graphics can be shoehorned into existing engines but a fully custom engine saves development time and produces better results. As part of completing this game, the engine will support multiple platforms, virtual reality, and a full catalogue of 4D specific features.

Beyond this first game, the roadmap is unknown. VizionEck Adventure may be ported to the Polytope Engine as a traditional 3D game but it is highly depended on timing and needs. It is possible that Polytope Engine will be used for all future VizionEck LLC games but it is also possible that Polytope Engine will only be used for games that benefit from 4D geometry. VizionEck LLC has no plans for games like this at this time, but imagine 2D and 3D games that are warped and twisted inside the fourth dimension. Portals and overlapping spaces are possible without faking the effects. Even square rooms with only three sides are possible.

"I do not know what the future holds for the Polytope Engine. Procedural generation, ray tracing, machine learning, molecular simulations, and much more are possible. We are even evaluating online multiplayer built around quantum mechanics and general relativity." - Cave Johnson, VizionEck LLC

Initially the Polytope Engine will be for internal use only. However if you are interested in using the Polytope Engine for academic purposes or would like to learn more, please contact Mike Armbrust at VizionEck.

Legend

Things are going good. I'm coding the engine in C++ using visual studio which is taking a bit of time to get used to. I really liked monodevelop ::)

I am starting off with a "simple" 4d model viewer. I'll propably spend a lot of time at this stage really getting a feel for how things should work. Right now I'm doing raymarching since it is faster to set up. Hyperspheres, hypercubes, and rods are the only primitives I'll start out with.

Before moving on to the game side of things, I really want to get good looking images. If I can't evoke a "wtf this is awesome looking" response then the 4D side of things will only be interesting to a small subset of people.

Legend

Color!

I'm using DirectX 11 to render a quad to the screen. Everything else will be done in shaders. In the future I'll probably change this since I really don't need any DirectX features but we will see.