Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Dec 02, 2020, 12:17 PM Last Edit: Dec 02, 2020, 03:19 PM by Xevross

PS5 did beat Switch for the whole November in the UK. Second biggest month ever for console revenue generated in the UK. And that second tweet should say 63% up YoY for the whole year so far for Switch.

Legend

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I think this gen might actually be the one where console sales explode.

Xbox Series will do 360 numbers, PS5 will do PS2 numbers, and Nintendo will stay doing incredibly well.

kitler53

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I think this gen might actually be the one where console sales explode.

Xbox Series will do 360 numbers, PS5 will do PS2 numbers, and Nintendo will stay doing incredibly well.
any particular reason?  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

any particular reason?  
2020 has increased demand for basically everything gaming and I think a good chunk of that demand will stick around, even as the world opens up. Also I think esports and less people "growing out" of gaming nowadays were already set to improve this gen's numbers.

It feels like Xbox is doing better than last gen but at the same time it doesn't feel like that is coming at the cost of PS5's success.

the-pi-guy

I think there's been a big push for gaming too.  First couple years of PS5 I think kick the pants off PS4/PS3 first couple years.  The PS2 gen is probably the closest.

Dr. Pezus

2020 has increased demand for basically everything gaming and I think a good chunk of that demand will stick around, even as the world opens up. Also I think esports and less people "growing out" of gaming nowadays were already set to improve this gen's numbers.

It feels like Xbox is doing better than last gen but at the same time it doesn't feel like that is coming at the cost of PS5's success.
Nah I think series won't be that successful. I can see about 60-70m

Legend

Nah I think series won't be that successful. I can see about 60-70m
What did 360 reach in the end, 90m?

kitler53

i can see the XS and ps5 having a more front loaded demand curve due to covid but i'm just not seeing any reason to expect a much different LTD sales.   

maybe a bit,... i do seem to see a decent amount to people claiming they've been PC only for a long time but are getting a console now.  it would seem to me that now that consoles are offering "performance mode" that a certain segment of the PC audience are more okay with a console given the cost difference in hardware.   ...but i don't foresee that being a huge difference.

after that i don't really see where growth will come from.  XS and ps5 won't benefit from switch's "mobile" form factor that gives people reason to own more than 1.  The games haven't gotten more accessible for those that play mobile type games or the audience that bought wiis.   sony and MS are both crud at making games aimed at kids so they aren't going to eat into nintendo's pie.  I'm ~40 now and born into the NES,.. my generation's kids aren't 18 yet to start buying consoles of their own.   

i dunno.  i just don't see it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

85-90m but that's a lot of guesswork tbh

Xevross

Dec 02, 2020, 10:12 PM Last Edit: Dec 02, 2020, 10:16 PM by Xevross
I think 87m is the best estimate. PS3 best estimate is 88m. XB1 will end around 53-54m maybe, PS4 close to 120m.

2020-2023 will quite possibly be the best period for home console sales in history. Switch will do continue to do bonkers numbers into 2022 and PS5 and XBS will have very high sales up to their peaks in ~2023.

Overall I still think Series will be ~60-70m, PS5 ~110-120m, with a total between them of ~180-190m, about 10m better than this gen. Switch will land around 140-150m I feel and its basically a coin toss as to whether its successor will sell 100m+ or 10-20m, as is the way of Nintendo. So I guess a lot of this rides on what part of Switch you count for "this gen" and which side of the coin Nintendo's next successor lands on.

I think there's been a big push for gaming too.  First couple years of PS5 I think kick the pants off PS4/PS3 first couple years.  The PS2 gen is probably the closest.
PS4/XB1 gen first few years already kicked the pants off the PS360 gen, with the second half being basically flat from last gen. So there's a big difference between those already. It'll be interesting seeing how it goes this time.

Xevross

Amazon UK charts after Series X and S restock (change from a few weeks ago)

Yearly:

#15 PS5 (+4)
#48 XSX (-) [slipped to #55 before climbing back to #48 with restock]
#68 DualSense (-10)

Here's how November finished:

#15 DualSense (+8) [Has been out of stock for quite a while]
#20 XS controller black (new)
#27 XS controller white (-16)
#30 PS5 (+15)
#32 XS controller blue (+17)
#69 XSX (+48)

Here's December so far before PS5 restock:

#1 XSX
#2 XSS
#10 XS controller white
#18 XS controller black

XS controllers were discounted for about half of November.

Xevross

Dec 03, 2020, 11:32 AM Last Edit: Dec 03, 2020, 02:15 PM by Xevross
Last week in Japan:

Switch 179k
PS5 43k (161k LTD)
XBS 3.7k (24k LTD)
PS4 2.8k
The next week in Japan:

Switch 145k
PS5 40k (201k LTD)
PS4 3.6k
XBS 3.6k (28k LTD)

Switch is now in good stock, XBS and PS5 both sold out still. XBS its hard to judge demand but I imagine its close to fulfilling at this point and will certainly be in good stock after the holidays. PS5 lotteries at Japan's biggest retailer had a 57:1 demand supply ratio this week, so PS5 is still nowhere near fulfilling demand.

As for the numbers, PS4's third week was 30k, XB1's third week was 1.5k. Looks like PS5 is going to be steadily stocked in Japan up to the point where it should be ahead of PS4 launch aligned. XBS is doing a lot better than XB1 proportionally, it'll be interesting to see how it does after the holiday season and when scalpers calm down for it. And as I predicted it might, XBS slipped below PS4 this week.

Xevross

Dec 03, 2020, 02:09 PM Last Edit: Dec 03, 2020, 02:14 PM by Xevross
Well here's a turn up for the books, the latest PS5 amazon UK restock sold more digital than disk PS5s. We'll see how the total sales for each compares to xbox when the monthly and yearly charts update tonight. I would guess this might be a lower restock if digital is leading the way.

Also seems like this was a big global restock, amazon and GAME for many countries went live today, Argos and Tesco in the UK too, Target in the US.

Dr. Pezus

Well here's a turn up for the books, the latest PS5 amazon UK restock sold more digital than disk PS5s. We'll see how the total sales for each compares to xbox when the monthly and yearly charts update tonight. I would guess this might be a lower restock if digital is leading the way.

Also seems like this was a big global restock, amazon and GAME for many countries went live today, Argos and Tesco in the UK too, Target in the US.
Iceland on monday

Xevross

Amazon UK

Yearly:

#13 PS5 (-2)
#48 XSX (-)
#67 DualSense (-1)

December:

#3 XSX (+2)
#5 XSS (+3)
#9 PS5d (new)
#12 PS5 (new)
#15 XS controller white (+5)
#27 XS controller black (+9)

So it was indeed a smaller restock for PS5, however I saw PS5 got restocked in pretty much every UK retailer while I heard nothing about XBS. Could be that the PS5 restock was wider or people just care less about XBS, not enough to get it trending on twitter or any mentions on Era.

Go Up