Sony Has Bought Insomniac Games

Started by Xevross, Aug 19, 2019, 07:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Aug 19, 2019, 07:10 PM Last Edit: Aug 19, 2019, 07:35 PM by Xevross
Sony Buys Fuse Developer Insomniac Games | ResetEra

OFFICIAL:

FROM KOTAKU:
 Sony has purchased the California-based game studio Insomniac Games, best known for last year's Spider-Man on PS4. Insomniac will become an exclusive PlayStation developer, Sony says.

Insomniac is also the creator of Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, and Sunset Overdrive, an Xbox exclusive that probably won't be getting any sequels.

FROM PRNEWSWIRE:

SAN MATEO, Calif., Aug. 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Interactive Entertainment ("SIE") announced today that SIE has entered into definitive agreements to acquire Insomniac Games, Inc. ("Insomniac Games"), a leading game developer and long-time partner of SIE, in its entirety. Insomniac Games is the developer of PlayStation®4's (PS4™) top-selling Marvel's Spider-Man and the hugely popular PlayStation® Ratchet & Clank franchise. Upon completion of the acquisition, Insomniac Games will join the global development operation of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios ("SIE WWS"). Insomniac Games is the 14th studio to join the SIE WWS family. This addition furthers SIE's continued commitment to creative excellence and innovation in game development exclusively for the PlayStation platforms.  
Big news! A response to all of MS's recent purchases?

the-pi-guy

nnodley

Definitely did not expect this one.  Always thought they wanted to stay independent.  Their recent success with Sony must have changed their minds

Dr. Pezus

"fuse developer". Oh, so that's Insomniac...

DerNebel

looks like we've officially entered the acquisition wars.

Legend

Wow that's awesome if Sony gives them steady funding!

Insomniac has had the oddest partnerships lately. Went from being super close with PlayStation, to an Xbox exclusive, then to Oculus exclusives and PlayStation exclusives, and now Sony first party.

I wonder how much their VR games factored into this. Could get more focus from Sony or could be dropped to focus on Spiderman level games.

Dr. Pezus

looks like we've officially entered the acquisition wars.
Kojima next

Will be fun seeing sunset overdrive on ps5!

Xevross

Kojima next

Even though Kojima likes Sony I think he wants to be his own boss from now on after the bad experience he had.

Dr. Pezus

Even though Kojima likes Sony I think he wants to be his own boss from now on after the bad experience he had.
Let's see. I think it depends on death stranding doing well

DerNebel

Kojima next

Who knows, I still don't know how I feel about all of this.

Death Stranding is a Sony IP though, so they might finish that deal after the game's actually out.

I think Bluepoint could be an interesting idea, plus if they have to do it then I'd maybe root for some smaller studios that could really benefit from the potential budget increase and security that something like being a first party dev could bring.

Oh and btw. if we believe this then it truly looks like this will continue.

Legend

Let's see. I think it depends on death stranding doing well
It'd be interesting to know who financially started the studio. Did Kojima use is own sources to "reassemble" the team and then find Sony as a publisher, or was Sony instrumental in the studio's reformation?

I'd imagine Sony has a pretty good contract and might effectively consider them first party already.

the-pi-guy

This seems to mean Sony owns Sunset Overdrive now.
I wonder how much their VR games factored into this. Could get more focus from Sony or could be dropped to focus on Spiderman level games.
I wonder.  Stormlands seems like it might be one of the biggest VR titles ever made.  Wonder if we might see it come to PSVR now.

SWORDF1SH

Insomniac are one of the most efficient developers out there. Nice acquisition.

Out of interest, who have MS acquired? I've been out the loop.

the-pi-guy

Insomniac are one of the most efficient developers out there. Nice acquisition.

Out of interest, who have MS acquired? I've been out the loop.
At E3 2018, Microsoft announced the acquisitions of Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs and Compulsion Games

In November 2018,  Microsoft Studios announced further acquisitions with Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment.

At E3 2019, Xbox Game Studios announced it had acquired Double Fine

Legend

At E3 2018, Microsoft announced the acquisitions of Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs and Compulsion Games

In November 2018,  Microsoft Studios announced further acquisitions with Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment.

At E3 2019, Xbox Game Studios announced it had acquired Double Fine
Seeing them all together, that is a crazy list. Microsoft essentially doubled their first party studios in just a year.