My Game Updates

Viewing single post

Started by nnodley, Dec 28, 2017, 04:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

nnodley

Jul 05, 2018, 10:38 PM Last Edit: Jul 05, 2018, 10:50 PM by nnodley
If you're wanting to have both portals and walking seamlessly around (unless I misunderstand) then you should definitely sort out level streaming. Then portals are as simple as physically moving the player and their is no loading delay.

How many languages are you planning to support? Audio logs are definitely better than text logs if you want them to not affect pace, but it's also more work. Does Unreal have a built in subtitle feature?

Awesome that you feel like you could be releasing soon. Is most of the modeling done or is that still your biggest task?

I always like reading your updates since you have a different perspective on this stuff than I do.
Yeah i'm going to have walking and portals. I'm working on how I'm going to split up different areas to stream and how I can do some tricks and hide it with foliage or something. Not all the levels will be connected so it alleviates some of the streaming issues, but I am creating more of a lake with high cliffs/mountains surrounding it with the four areas with the conduits and the actual tech they are powering in the middle of the lake(was not thinking of God of War at the time of wanting to do it ;D ) so all the areas will be seen from most places so I need low res version of all the objects for performance and streaming issues.

I had a couple portals working before, but broke them because of some issues so the basics of it is already built and ready to go.

I do believe it has a subtitle feature built in as far as I'm aware.  I'll have to look into that more.  Different languages was on my mind, but I definitely need to look into it more.   

Most of the foliage is finished.  I might have more I can make, but I may wait for that once I get to polishing and finalizing levels before release.  Most rocks and cliffs I am using megascans 3d assets I got from them and created my own textures in substance and a decent shader for them in engine.  I need some more custom meshes of cliffs and I'm gonna try and make those soon.  I have a portal design which hasn't been shown in here yet.  I'll show it tomorrow maybe.  Other than all that I have mostly man made stuff to build out and texture.  But, i'm not worried so much about that as I can just use placeholder designs for now to get the flow of the game done and get into alpha stage of development soon.  Hopefully by september or so.

For now I am going to try and print the story as text on screen with triggers so I can work on placement of where recordings may start and not have too many close together to conflict with a recording already playing.

Actually here is the portal design I've been working on.  Essentially it will use dark matter to power.  The DM will come through the tubes  and will be drawn right into the center which will then use the DM to create the portal.  Or something similar to that.  The ideas for how I have it "work" may change down the line.