Intel i9 officially announced

Started by Legend, May 30, 2017, 05:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Intel i9 officially announced - NeoGAF

There is a lot to take in here. The most interesting points are that Intel plans to one-up AMD Threadripper by offering an 18-core processor but it also wants to change the perception of the X299-class platform by offering lower price, lower core count CPUs like the quad-core, non-HyperThreaded Core i5-7640X. We also see the first ever branding of Core i9.
 Intel only provided detailed specifications up to the Core i9-7900X, a 10-core / 20-thread processor with a base clock of 3.3 GHz and a Turbo peak of 4.5 GHz using the new Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0. It sports 13.75MB of cache thanks to an updated cache configuration, includes 44 lanes of PCIe 3.0, an increase of 4 lanes over Broadwell-E, quad-channel DDR4 memory up to 2666 MHz and a 140 watt TDP. The new LGA2066 socket will be utilized. Pricing for this CPU is set at $999, which is interesting for a couple of reasons. First, it is $700 less than the starting MSRP of the 10c/20t Core i7-6950X from one year ago; obviously a big plus. However, there is quite a ways UP the stack, with the 18c/36t Core i9-7980XE coming in at a cool $1999.

Intel Core i9 Announced: 18-core Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X and X299
 You have nice table on that link with all CPUs

It's been like 10 years since the i7.

Raven

May 30, 2017, 06:10 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:50 PM by Raven
What's the timeline on this? If we're expecting it later this year then I'm gonna have to change plans for my motherboard and CPU.

Hmmm, nevermind. The prices on those i9's are really high and it doesn't sound like it would benefit me to go beyond a high end i7.

darkknightkryta

What's the timeline on this? If we're expecting it later this year then I'm gonna have to change plansplans for my motherboard and CPU.

Hmmm, nevermind. The prices on those i9's are really high and it doesn't sound like it would benefit me to go beyond a high end i7.
Depends what you want to gamble on, but Ryzen should last you 5+ years, if not more.