Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion - NeoGAF

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 23, 2017, 10:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

I actually don't think there should be a problem with it at this point. You're not run by the same kind of government as you were about 70 years ago. Germany's transition and current place in the world should give you a lot to be proud of and you should be allowed to show it. I'd punch someone for you if they got on your case for it. So, maybe try to not be a sucker to someone who would sympathize with you?
Germans simply aren't big on patriotism or national pride, because of our past still, that stuff is hammered into us at school. There is a video out there of Angela Merkel disapprovingly throwing away the German flag at a celebration of her party, meanwhile Trump goes around hugging the American flag, that kinda shows the difference in mindsets.

I don't feel national pride either but for me it's because I think that pride is an emotion that you should feel for something that you've accomplished and nothing else. What have I done to make Germany what it is today, that I should feel proud about? But I do am happy to live in Germany of course.

The main thing that annoys me is when people take every instance of national pride a German might display as signs of someone being a borderline Nazi. I had a date with a chick during the European Championship last summer, who told me she liked going around taking the German flags off of people's cars (which are fairly common during big international sporting events) because how dare people show support for a sports team like that. I nearly rolled my eyes so far back that I was able to see my own brain.

Mmm_fish_tacos

You should be proud of your country no matter where your from.  

Aura7541

I'm more proud of the values that my country stands for than the country itself.

Raven

Jan 24, 2017, 10:34 PM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 10:36 PM by Raven
Germans simply aren't big on patriotism or national pride, because of our past still, that stuff is hammered into us at school. There is a video out there of Angela Merkel disapprovingly throwing away the German flag at a celebration of her party, meanwhile Trump goes around hugging the American flag, that kinda shows the difference in mindsets.

I don't feel national pride either but for me it's because I think that pride is an emotion that you should feel for something that you've accomplished and nothing else. What have I done to make Germany what it is today, that I should feel proud about? But I do am happy to live in Germany of course.

The main thing that annoys me is when people take every instance of national pride a German might display as signs of someone being a borderline Nazi. I had a date with a chick during the European Championship last summer, who told me she liked going around taking the German flags off of people's cars (which are fairly common during big international sporting events) because how dare people show support for a sports team like that. I nearly rolled my eyes so far back that I was able to see my own brain.
Don't think of it as "pride". Think of it more as being a fan of your country and understanding that not only are you a fan of this team but you're also truly a part of it. You make contributions to your society. Whether it be by simply working and paying taxes, to performing public service, teaching, inventing, or leading. One way or the other, you helped in some way to make your country what it is. If that is a country that by all standards is a great one, then you have every right to have your own little sense of personal pride in what it is. That's not really what national pride is all about, though. As I said, it's more about being a fan of your country and its people. It's about appreciating its values. Honoring its past accomplishments. Being thankful you live there and not in some hole in the ground. Impressed by its place in the world today and believing in its future. Loving it as a whole. That's being a fan of your nation. That's national "pride". As long as you're not one of those douchebags who walks around believing he is great just because he lives in a great nation or that the nation's accomplishments are his own accomplishments and that somehow makes him better by default than the foreigner standing next to him, then there is nothing wrong with saying you're proud or even just feeling it.

Dr. Pezus

To be fair, I've dealt with more than my fair share of people from elsewhere who seem to think their shame doesn't stink and where they live is awesome compared to everywhere else. Gets a little tiresome when Mexicans or Irish show intense national pride and no one cares but an American shows some patriotism and gets called an ignorant Murican. I'm not down with Trump and his cronies but this spitting on America for believing in itself gets old.
I would say the same about any other major leader who says this. Problem is that I don't understand many languages so the ones using English get more attention, naturally

Xevross

You should be proud of your country no matter where your from.  
What if you're French?  ;D

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

What if you're French?  ;D
There is no pride, only surrender.  

Go Up