PSVR2 impressions

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 14, 2022, 12:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Polygon - PlayStation VR2 is making me fall in love with VR again

the-pi-guy

UploadVR:

The field of view is noticeably wider than the original PSVR and headsets like Quest 2. This both adds to the immersion and helps you see enemies to the side of you.

The view isn't color, but it is higher resolution than Meta Quest 2's passthrough so you can actually make out details in your room. I also didn't notice any distortion.
My favourite feature of PlayStation VR2 is that it uses eye tracking to guide you to adjust the lenses perfectly for your interpupillary distance (IPD) and to get the headset properly positioned on your face.
Controller tracking was flawless throughout all the demos I tried. Whether I was reaching behind my back, moving them rapidly, or even occluding one controller with the other, it just didn't matter. I'm confident these controllers can handle any VR game Quest 2 can. The impressive performance is probably thanks to the sheer size of the controllers and thus their infrared LED rings. They're bigger in real life than you're probably assuming.
PlayStation VR2 offers striking visuals, a noticeably wider field of view, and high fidelity haptics. The reprojection issue is disappointing, but this is still the most immersive consumer headset I've tried to date.
Sauce

the-pi-guy

Another small touch that I didn't notice until the very end was the complete lack of fogging, which is an issue that I often have with VR headsets as someone who runs quite hot. Sony has added a vent to the PSVR 2 to allow air to flow to the lenses, reducing the buildup of fog and ensuring the screens remain clear.
The original PSVR is easily the most comfortable of the various VR headsets on the market, and I believe that most will feel the same about the PSVR 2.
Gamespot

Legend

My biggest desire is just improved tracking. I mostly gave up on psvr1 since the camera was really bad at calculating distance.

Everything else in psvr2 is just a bonus!

kitler53

i haven't watched/read any of the posted reviews but i see:

Another small touch that I didn't notice until the very end was the complete lack of fogging, which is an issue that I often have with VR headsets as someone who runs quite hot. Sony has added a vent to the PSVR 2 to allow air to flow to the lenses, reducing the buildup of fog and ensuring the screens remain clear.
Controller tracking was flawless throughout all the demos I tried. Whether I was reaching behind my back, moving them rapidly, or even occluding one controller with the other, it just didn't matter. I'm confident these controllers can handle any VR game Quest 2 can. The impressive performance is probably thanks to the sheer size of the controllers and thus their infrared LED rings. They're bigger in real life than you're probably assuming.
i wish it was wireless but accepting that i won't get that here,.. these are probably the 2 most important things i could hear.  i'd like to know if VR sickness is reduced but i dunno if i'd trust a review of that anyways.  it's such a personal thing that i'll need to try that out for myself.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

kitler53

i watched the top video and the verge article.

all in all it looks pretty good.  i did notice in the videos the kinds of things i would have criticized in things like kinect.  i saw hands displayed in game with unnaturally kinked wrists.  i saw gun shots where the shot was miles away from being lined-up correctly but the bullets still hitting highlighting some pretty massive assists.  basically i saw that awkward imbalance between games trying to be immersive by adding in physical interactions but that the reality is VR can't do more then "gestures" for many of these interactions.  not really a limitation of psvr2 but a limitation of VR.

i'm happy to see that this headset is a big improvement over the last but the games being shown tell me that game developers are still trying to execute their "dream" game instead of the game designed for what VR does well while avoiding what it does not do well.  i think we'll get a lot of hit and miss experiences again unfortunately.  

the climbing in horizon looked great.  the combat looked unfun to me.  while more interactive than the psvr shark demo i'm getting the same vibe,.. a game all about giving the user cinematic VR gimmicks.   you guys may remember me saying on the first trailer that i thought it was "on-rails".  ...i think that statement is not soo far off from the truth.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens