Eidos Montreal founder: heard rumors that Sony was interested in Square Enix (Tokyo)

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 26, 2022, 04:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

He continues: "If I read between the lines, Square Enix Japan was not as committed as we hoped initially. And there are rumours, obviously, that with all these activities of mergers and acquisitions, that Sony would really like to have Square Enix within their wheelhouse. I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest. So, I think [Square Enix CEO Yosuke] Matsuda-san put it like a garage sale."

the-pi-guy

Have to wonder if it is the same rumors that we have all heard or if it's something else.  

Probably the former though. Maybe we will see something happen in a few months with Crystal Dynamics/etc being officially sold to Embracer.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised whether it happens or not.

Sony really wants Final Fantasy though. Maybe even more than they really should.

kitler53

for how cheap those studios went it really feels like buying the whole lot would be worth it.   those studios would have basically been "free" once you buy up the expensive japan bits.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Not sure if it's worth asking, but when would it make sense for Sony or Square reject the rumors?

Perhaps it's not necessary, but there are quite a few articles being written about this.

kitler53

Not sure if it's worth asking, but when would it make sense for Sony or Square reject the rumors?

Perhaps it's not necessary, but there are quite a few articles being written about this.
Probably can't reject them if they are true. dad

…as a rule companies shouldn't respond to rumors. With all the acquisitions it's pretty impossible to tell if this has substance or is wishful thinking. Sony should just leave them alone. 

BananaKing

What a waste of money. Square is gonna continue to release games on playststion regardless. Invest in something better

the-pi-guy

What a waste of money. Invest in something better
I think they'll do both.

Square is gonna continue to release games on playststion regardless.
I don't think we should take anything for granted.

A lot of Square's smaller games are Switch exclusive right now.
Their bigger titles would probably go to PC/PS5/Xbox Series S|X, if Sony wasn't paying a fair amount of money to keep them exclusive.

And Sony really wants Final Fantasy to be exclusive to their platform.

kitler53

Jul 28, 2022, 03:04 PM Last Edit: Jul 28, 2022, 03:06 PM by kitler53
What a waste of money. Square is gonna continue to release games on playststion regardless. Invest in something better
do you really think SE is giving playstation exclusives for nuggets and giggles?   sony has been pumping money into SE for ages now to secure those exclusives so maybe, just maybe, sony will save money by just buying them outright instead of paying for timed or console exclusives. 

also SE gives quite a lot of exclusives to nintendo.   i don't hate that nintendo gets them but i'd prefer that ps gets them too.

also SE is one of the more sucessful mobile game developers.  that's an area sony has made a public commitment too:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstations-push-into-mobile-gaming-snapshot-of-sonys-past-and-present-mobile-market-plans/1100-6504134/
similar to how bungie is helping sony with their GaaS push maybe SE would be a good strategic partner to help sony with their mobile push.

lastly,.. don't for one second forget about MS.  they'll buy the entire fukting industry with their excessive billions of cash given enough time.  some of these purchases are purely defensive to prevent the loss of games to their platform.  MS misses out on a lot of SE games and if sony is willing to be more multiplat (as they seem to) deals to ensure some of these legacy franchises (aka final fantasy) appear on xbox could be done in exchange for ms's legacy franchises (CoD, diablo, doom) appear on playstation platforms.  personally i'd love for a MSony deal to be publically announced around committment to both platforms for legacy franchises.   both sides deserve to have exclusives but taking away games from franchises that have decades of multiplat releases is BS.

take-two is still the one i'm most worried about.  even though i don't play GTA losing that franchise will hurt sony really bad.   i promise you that MS has eyes on them already.

the-pi-guy

Square Enix wants to sell stakes in its studios: