Horizon FW will have free upgrade, future PS5 titles will be $10

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 05, 2021, 12:07 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Thursday was to be a celebration of Horizon Forbidden West and the amazing team at Guerrilla working to deliver it on February 18, 2022. However, it's abundantly clear that the offerings we confirmed in our pre-order kickoff missed the mark.

Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West. While the pandemic's profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)-both digital and physical*-will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Legend

Can I call Sony idiots?

This just makes the price difference look worse. $10 upgrade for every game would have made fans happy, but now the internet knows Sony can cave. Make enough bad pr and gow will be free too.

the-pi-guy

Games being $70 was already not popular with people.

Sony has been struggling with pushing that price point.

Ghost of Tsushima PS5 edition offered so little to justify a $70 price point.
Horizon didn't offer an upgrade option at all, and dual entitlement only came with the $80 version and the pricier options.

Even the back tracking comes off badly.  

I think they've had an easier time with $70 games for PS5 exclusives, a lot more complaining about Horizon than there was for Returnal or Demons Souls. I wonder if they will go out of their way to cancel cross gen projects.

the-pi-guy

Can I call Sony idiots?

This just makes the price difference look worse. $10 upgrade for every game would have made fans happy, but now the internet knows Sony can cave. Make enough bad pr and gow will be free too.
It's made worse by the fact that a lot of people are now trying to read this:

>While the pandemic's profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.

as implying that Sony considers 2021 as launch window, that GoW and GT7 must also be launch window games, since they were planning to release in 2021 and should also get free upgrades.  

the-pi-guy

I'm kind of irritated by the goal post moving.  

I get that $70 and the lack of free upgrades are irritating. But people are being dishonest while arguing against them.  

Sony: Horizon will be coming to PS4, and launch games will have free upgrades.  

People: they're clearly implying that Horizon will have a free upgrade. Focusing on "launch games" is just dumb semantics.  

Sony: okay we will call Horizon a launch game, and give free upgrades.

People: aha, so since Horizon was a launch game, then GoW and GT7 are too.  

In the space of two days the exact same people went from arguing that the launch games language didn't matter, to arguing that it really does matter.

I think it's fine to be mad at the price tag, but the inconsistent twisting of language is irritating and dishonest.